Jambands.ca

Zabriskie Point (1970) Antonioni/ Garcia

zero

Does anyone else know of or has seen the film Zabriskie Point. It's a Michaelangelo Antonioni movie and I guess Jerry does some or all of the music.

I was doing some research on Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (which apparently director Wayne Wang did a video for with JGB and Ashley Judd) and came across it.

Jerry's guitar is highlighted in a section called "Love Scene". I saw this movie years ago. It was pretty interesting from what I remember. Cool visuals and great music.

d68615n10qe.jpg

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=10:50o7gjqrj6i9

Here's the soundtrack:

Track listing

[edit] Original 1970 tracklist

1. Pink Floyd – "Heart Beat, Pig Meat" (David Gilmour/Roger Waters/Rick Wright/Nick Mason) – 3:11

2. Kaleidoscope – "Brother Mary" (David Lindley) – 2:39

3. Grateful Dead – "Dark Star" (excerpt) (Jerry Garcia/Mickey Hart/Robert Hunter/Bill Kreutzmann/Phil Lesh/Ron "Pigpen" McKernan/Bob Weir) – 2:30

4. Pink Floyd – "Crumbling Land" (David Gilmour/Roger Waters/Rick Wright/Nick Mason) – 4:13

5. Patti Page – "Tennessee Waltz" (Pee Wee King/Redd Stewart) – 3:01

6. The Youngbloods – "Sugar Babe" (Jesse Colin Young) – 2:12

7. Jerry Garcia – "Love Scene" (Jerry Garcia) – 7:02

8. Roscoe Holcomb – "I Wish I Was a Single Girl Again" (Roscoe Holcomb/Traditional) – 1:54

9. Kaleidoscope – "Mickey's Tune" (David Lindley) – 1:40

10. John Fahey – "Dance of Death" (John Fahey) – 2:42

11. Pink Floyd – "Come in #51, Your Time Is Up" (David Gilmour/Roger Waters/Rick Wright/Nick Mason) – 5:01

[edit] Bonus disc from 1997 release

1. Jerry Garcia – "Love Scene Improvations" (Version 1) (Jerry Garcia) – 6:18

2. Jerry Garcia – "Love Scene Improvations" (Version 2) (Jerry Garcia) – 8:00

3. Jerry Garcia – "Love Scene Improvations" (Version 3) (Jerry Garcia) – 7:52

4. Jerry Garcia – "Love Scene Improvations" (Version 4) (Jerry Garcia) – 8:04

5. Pink Floyd – "Country Song" (David Gilmour/Roger Waters/Rick Wright/Nick Mason) – 4:37

6. Pink Floyd – "Unknown Song" (David Gilmour/Roger Waters/Rick Wright/Nick Mason) – 6:01

7. Pink Floyd – "Love Scene" (Version 6) (David Gilmour/Roger Waters/Rick Wright/Nick Mason) – 7:26

8. Pink Floyd – "Love Scene" (Version 4) (David Gilmour/Roger Waters/Rick Wright/Nick Mason) – 6:45

David Lindley is so super cool.

He's one of my favourites; I have "Twango Bango Deluxe" (which is Lindley and Wally Ingram) at the office this week. I also have two albums (actual LPs) by Kaleidoscope, as well as, let's see...

• El Rayo-X
  • Win This Record (on LP)
  • Mr. Dave (solo record, released in Japan)
  • Very Greasy
  • El Rayo-X Live
  • Official Bootleg #1 (with Hani Nasar)
  • Official Bootleg #2 (with Hani Nasar)
  • Twango Bango II (with Wally Ingram)
  • Twango Bango III (with Wally Ingram)
  • Cooder/Lindley Family (2 CD set, live from 1995, with David & Roseanne Lindely, Ry & Joachim Cooder)

http://www.davidlindley.com

Aloha,

Brad

Here's an interesting info piece on the director, the movie, and the soundtrack:

http://www.phinnweb.org/links/cinema/directors/antonioni/zabriskie/

The Evil Widow Koons is even quoted:

Back in 1974 when Jerry and I were first getting to know each other, he was beginning to experience more intensely the ups and downs of success and fame. The best of the upside for Jerry was the increased opportunity to do interesting work, and working with Michelangelo Antonioni on the soundtrack for Zabriskie Point had been a definite highlight. He told me in 1970 (or '69) that Lenny Hart, who then managed The Grateful Dead, had mentioned to him that "some Italian guy has been calling, wanting you to work on a film soundtrack." When Jerry found out this Italian guy was Antonioni, he immediately said yes, of course, he would be thrilled to be involved in the project.

So Jerry went to L.A. and set up in a huge soundstage with Antonioni and played. He was pleased with his work, proud to be part of the film, and honored to have worked with the director. I remember, prevideo, Jerry taking me to see old Antonioni films like Red Desert (Il Deserto Rosso) at repertory houses. Of course we saw The Passenger as soon as it came out and marveled at its great style. Jerry was a true film buff and appreciated both the artistic and technical aspects of this most difficult craft. Seeing and talking movies with him was always fun.

When I watch Zabriskie Point on video, I think back to the first time I saw it in 1970 when I was in college, when I was the same age and generation as the people in the film. I too sat through endless meetings, went on strike, challenged the system, and felt there were two worlds: the straight world and our world. I can hardly remember how it felt to be so open and free and trusting. How lucky we were to have been that age at that particular time. Of course, today it seems we were naïve, lacking in wisdom, discrimination, and good sense. Still, watching Zabriskie Point now has made me fall in love with my generation all over again. We were all so young and beautiful, and time was on our side.

-- Deborah Koons Garcia

I'm reading "Garcia - An American Life" and in it they only mention quickly Jerry's work on that project.. however there is a wicked quote from Peter Rowan:

"When I played in old and in the way, I got to see more of the 'star; Garcia. ... He was just like he was in the 60's when I knew him, only now it's the 70's and he's gettomg rocj amd fa,pis and everything. Jerry was recieving a lot of money from all sorts of sources and he'd get a check and just throw it in the glove compartment of his car, and eventually thousands of dollars were sitting that he completely forgot about. He just didn't pay attention to money; he was a true hippie in that way. That was symbolic to me.

See it have the soundtrack. The Garcia "Love Scene" track is awesome.

It is also one of the only films The Dead ever licensed their music for.

The film itself is very hippy/flaky complete with a desert acid/sex orgy....

The soundtrack has also been remastered and re-released so you can get it on Amazon or order it at HMV.