Jambands.ca

Galactic in Toronto April 14th

NewRider

It's completely offensive. It is one of the few places in society wherein a person with no official authority advises you that you have a choice to, either, undergo a physical search or leave. This only happens AFTER you have paid, so you stand to lose money if you refuse the search.

Apart from being arrested, or boarding a plane, there is no other time in our society in which a regular citizen has to allow another to place their hands all over them. Further, it is not done in this case for safety reasons. If that were the issue, they could simply use a metal-detector. I see it as a completely unwarranted abuse of authority; and absolutely offensive.

If I owned The Opera House, I would be embarrassed by that policy.

i agree TOH stinks

i'm a big boy, i can take a piss and wash up without some dude in a tux there to hand me a towel when I am finished!

plus, any venue that has a NO in/out policy I usually avoid

I saw Burning Spear at the York Theatre (I think it was called) Yonge & Eglinton a few years back. It was one of the best venues I have been to in this city. For that show anyway, there was good sound and sightlines, everyone was puffin' and the staff were relaxed and cool.

More shows at The York Theatre please!

When you have experienced as many 'bad touches' as I have in the States from security guards, and watched buddies go to Jail over nothing, I really don't think that the security guards at the Opera House are that bad.

You just have to look them in the eye, be courteous, and HIDE EVERYTHING REALLY WELL!

I suspect I have experienced at least as many bad touches in the USA as you have. Touring with the Grateful Dead, and later Phish, causes a person to be put in such a situation regularly.

It does not change my opinion. It merely bolsters my resolve to avoid the States, apart from when absolutely necessary; as has been my policy since the inception of the Patriot Act.

Now, I should say that this is not unique to the States, either. In the old days, Kingswood was notorious for their searches, and armies of security and cops at the gates. The States certainly does not have a monopoly on over-zealous security.

It is not a matter of learning to live with it. I have long since done so. It also has nothing to do with hiding anything. I am not in any way concerned about being found to be in possession of something I shouldn't have. Rather, I'm offended to be told that I have a choice to see a band I wish to see, or to give up some of my civil liberty. It is inappropriate, offensive, and a complete overreaction to any real "risk" there may be to the venue.

I put up with it, every time actually, because it is simpler. It's still offensive.

There was a Straight Dope question/answer about concert searches a while back. I bet it's geared to American policy, but it does claim that "As a general rule the promoter is also obliged to give you your money back, and in fact promoters are almost always willing to do so."

The key part is

When you buy a concert ticket, you're essentially entering into a contract: the party of the first part (the promoter) agrees to allow the party of the second part (you) to attend his concert so long as you agree to play by his rules, which may include submitting to a search. Basic contract law permits private parties to extract such conditions so long as they do not violate public policy--e.g., the promoter can't force you to commit a crime.

Aloha,

Brad

Yes. That is pretty much trite contract law.

I would argue, however, that a forced infringement of civil liberties, without an overriding societal interest in protection of the public or some other reason outside the "de minimis range" (similar to a Section 1 Charter analysis under the Oakes test) would also be contrary to public policy.

The fact is that no one will ever litigate something like this. That is why such deplorable policies are put in place, and manage to sustain themselves.

(Then again, maybe *someone* will one day litigate this. Hmmmm. Food for thought.)