Jambands.ca

Entertaining Americans..

captainsunshine

Hey all..

So my parents are coming to visit me here in Burlington this coming weekend (the 1st-3rd)..

I just wanted to see if there were any suggestions on things that would help entertain them while they're here...

They're last (and only time) in Canada was about 25 years ago..

I know they want to go to Niagara Fall's for a bit, and that's all that's planned right now..

ALSO.. They're real cool parents (my dad's an old hippie and has seen the GD a few times..).. and I want to see if there's any good music going on on Friday or Saturday while they're here..

Thanks y'all!! It will be a super help!! :):)

For Toronto, I'd take them for an eating, shopping and drinking tour around some of Toronto's best ethnic areas like Greektown (Danforth Ave.), Little Italy, Chinatown and Little India. Plus, the Distillery District and St. Lawrence Market are a 10 minute walk from each other and are really cool and interesting. Queen Street West is an entertaining shop/walk and they may find the ultra-ritzy celebrity haunt Yorkville fascinating if not outrageously expensive (just north of Bloor and Bay, on Cumberland and Yorkville Avenues).

I'd avoid the Art Gallery Of Ontario (although it is in Chinatown). The ongoing Frank Gehry renovations won't be done until the fall rendering the AGO a mess visually and in maneuvering around inside.

those tours are lame, plus its a bit cold to sit out side ont he top.

i'd second the distellery district, really really good food there, but its pricey, at least where i went.

like 100 - 150 for dinner for 2 with a few drinks

the cn tower resturant 360, its really cool, it makes the trip to the tower worth wile. plus it spins and on a nice day they veiw os great, i you have bonoculars you can see the falls, i tred but just saw some fog they said was the falls.

that place is a bit price to, but definalty worth it, there menu is on line,, you could probably do like 60 - 80 a person.

if it were me, i'd probably do one day where we got up early

cruised to youg st, and took a nice walk, maybe from bloor to st toward front.

stop at a few pot cafe's on young and some cool stores. hit up lunch in kensington, then do a bit of queen west and st laurence market.

then head to the tower for a tour, and if you wana splurge, dinner at the 360

maybe a nice show, after, theater or something

that would pretty much covr everything

Good morning,

If you're hitting up Niagara Falls anyways, it might be worth checking out the Butterfly Conservatory while you are there. Pretty cool place.

Also, I'd second Zero's suggestion for Hugh's Room in Toronto. In fact, Todd and I will be there this weekend with my parents. David Francey is playing there on both Friday and Saturday night. He is basically a folk singer.

Good luck!

... checking out the Butterfly Conservatory while you are there. Pretty cool place.

i second that. very cool place, be sure to take your cameras.

where are the folks from, captainsunshine? if its a smaller sorta place ... i'd recommend a bunch of places we tend to take for granted living in a big city, like the Eaton Center, the subway, city hall, CN Tower, as well as the other more Toronto-specific places like the Hockey Hall of Fame, Harbourfront, and all the ones already recommended.

note that the weather may be wonky, so as good as the suggestions are re: various districts in town (chinatown, greektown, kensington) they may not be as nice if its slushy outside.

should be fun. enjoy!

If you go to Niagra Falls, be sure to go to the lovely town of Niagra-on-the-Lake. Most of the wineries don't have tours at this time of the year, but some still do. Niagra is #1 for ice-wine plus one of the best wine producing regions in the world. The fake Niagra Falls town is Clifton Hill. Avoid the real downtown. It's depressing.

Tours are good if you don't have a lot of time to explore.

If you go to Niagra Falls, be sure to go to the lovely town of Niagra-on-the-Lake. Most of the wineries don't have tours at this time of the year, but some still do. Niagra is #1 for ice-wine plus one of the best wine producing regions in the world. The fake Niagra Falls town is Clifton Hill. Avoid the real downtown. It's depressing.

I've always enjoyed Niagara-On-The-Lake and hitting the Olde Angel Inn when I'm there.

http://www.angel-inn.com/

Great food and beer, and often there's a band jamming too. Cool old building, and it's haunted by an old British soldier :)

the cn tower resturant 360, its really cool, it makes the trip to the tower worth wile. plus it spins and on a nice day they veiw os great, i you have bonoculars you can see the falls, i tred but just saw some fog they said was the falls.

that place is a bit price to, but definalty worth it, there menu is on line,, you could probably do like 60 - 80 a person.

Since you don't have to pay extra to get to the top when you're going for dinner, it gives you the most bang for your buck if you want to do it. The food is good and the fact that it rotates rocks! Just don't leave anything on the window sill as it doesn't rotate with you .