Jambands.ca

2007 Budget

Birdy

Federal budget heavy on social program funds

Reuters

Published: Monday, March 19, 2007

TORONTO -- The government's federal budget due out on Monday will include up to $4 billion in funding for social programs, the Globe and Mail newspaper reported on Monday.

The paper said the "election ready" 2007-2008 budget was heavy on social programs, the environment and education.

The transfer of $3.5 billion to $4 billion of annual funding to the provinces is aimed at pacifying grievances about Ottawa not sharing the wealth, the report said.

The Conservative government will round out its transfers to the provinces with at least $1 billion in extra infrastructure cash for provinces and a $1.5 billion fund to fight climate change.

The budget will also deliver up to $3 billion in annual cuts, credits and tax breaks for individuals today, the newspaper said.

These would include capital-gains tax relief, allowing couples to split pension income for tax purposes, a hike in the age credit for Canadians 65 or older and a Working Income Tax Benefit to make it worthwhile for some to quit welfare.

The minority Conservative government holds less than half the seats in the House of Commons, and will need the support of at least one other party to pass legislation.

I feel really good about this impending budget so far. I'm interested to say what the naysayers will have to say about it though.

Come on economic growth!

According to

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/03/19/budget-opposition.html

Moments after Finance Minister Jim Flaherty introduced the federal budget Monday, the opposition Liberals and NDP denounced the plan and vowed to vote against it.

The move will not be enough to trigger a federal election, as the Bloc Québécois indicated it would support Flaherty's plan and ensure its passage.

Aloha,

Brad

"I've never seen a government do so little with so much, and that's why we can't support such a budget," Dion told CBC News outside the House of Commons following Flaherty's presentation.

Funny, this is one of the very reasons I like the budget!

fack.

aren't all budgets more of the same old 'shell game'?

it was interesting to see jack leighton get interviewed last night... as he had to continually acknowledge the existence, point by point, of that which he had expressed wanting to see in a budget.

thank god for gilles duceppe.

thanks for the Conservatives for making Canada a confederation again.

i'm inclined to believe the naysayers naysaying is just more of the same old shell game.

Edited by Guest

I'm inclined to believe what Dion and others have been saying today, that much of this budget is just more of the same old shell game.

Just like every other one.

It's an average budget to me. I don't see it benfiting me much or hurting me much.

The Liberals are breathing a sigh of relief that they can say they don't like the budget without an election being called. Dion is not the man for the Liberals. Why did they vote him as their leader again?

i'm inclined to believe the naysayers naysaying is just more of the same old shell game.

[color:purple]Thankfully you're above that kind of partisanship.

I really and honestly try to be Ollie.

I do what I do in this forum simply for the fact that there's sooooooo much of one opinion here. It almost makes me go insane. I think i may fall over and die if one day I saw a new thread created from someone commending the Conservative government for doing something good, without the ensuing attacks on words like 'family' that almost come like clock work around here. I know i'm no better, and really, the opposite of this, but maybe i'd just feel better if i had those numbers. :)

I do what I do in this forum simply for the fact that there's sooooooo much of one opinion here. It almost makes me go insane.

There's an implication there that those opnions are not honest. I find that insulting.

I think i may fall over and die if one day I saw a new thread created from someone commending the Conservative government for doing something good, without the ensuing attacks on words like 'family' that almost come like clock work around here. I know i'm no better, and really, the opposite of this, but maybe i'd just feel better if i had those numbers. :)

You have selective memory then because there have been positive things said about the Conservative government here. And I've seen attacks on groups like "focus on the family" but I have not seen anyone attacking the notion of "family" here.

So you'd feel better if more people agreed with you? How about we use this forum as a means to share honest opinion and not play a numbers game?

Uh, i did not say a THING about a game. I'm not expecting nor would I want anyone to jump ship to make me feel better. I don't even know where you would get the idea that I would.

Of course, my existence in this forum would be better if I had someone to share my ideas with that agreed with them. We could cultivate and expand and brainstorm and whathaveyou... all the things that I like doing. Instead all I do is defend my point of view, and that get's pretty tiring.. kinda why I've slowed down in posting.

Please don't get me wrong.. i'm not complaining about this place, just kinda pointing out what I consider the obvious. I mean i'm still here and posting. Can you please provide me with links of threads started shedding our current Conservative goverment in a positive light? That would be great and would prove me wrong. Maybe I do have a selective memory, but i really can't think of any.

What do you think "Focus on the family" focuses on?

I do what I do in this forum simply for the fact that there's sooooooo much of one opinion here. It almost makes me go insane.

There's an implication there that those opnions are not honest? I find that insulting.

Sorry' date=' but [b']what the FUCK? Where did I ever say that your opinions weren't honest.

Insulted is me.

Well, deal with it. Why are people's opinions worth less or frustrating just because they're shared with others?

Dissent for the sake of it is bullshit. Spare us.

Uh, i did not say a THING about a game. I'm not expecting nor would I want anyone to jump ship to make me feel better. I don't even know where you would get the idea that I would.

I got the idea that you would be happier with more people on yours side by what you said a few posts up:

"I know i'm no better, and really, the opposite of this, but maybe i'd just feel better if i had those numbers."

Of course, my existence in this forum would be better if I had someone to share my ideas with that agreed with them. We could cultivate and expand and brainstorm and whathaveyou... all the things that I like doing. Instead all I do is defend my point of view, and that get's pretty tiring.. kinda why I've slowed down in posting.

Throwing out ideas, and defending them, is all a part of political discussion.

Please don't get me wrong.. i'm not complaining about this place, just kinda pointing out what I consider the obvious.

Pointing out the obvious tends to get tedious.

I mean i'm still here and posting. Can you please provide me with links of threads started shedding our current Conservative goverment in a positive light? That would be great and would prove me wrong. Maybe I do have a selective memory, but i really can't think of any.

I'll let you do your own research.

What do you think "Focus on the family" focuses on?

Are you for real? Look them up.

thanks Booche. :)

ollie, i'm done. my post in here wasn't meant to cause an argument and obviously has been taken slightly out of context. i'm fully aware that defending views and opinions are a part of political discussions. i do it every day.

hux, after nearly 75% of your posts i want to type the words "spare me". Glad you got to it first. ;)