Jambands.ca

Saturday Night in Ottawa

Ms.Huxtable

Lowtide is also playing, and they're pretty good (not really a jamband, but they have good songs, can play really well, and do stretch things out a little bit).

There's also another band called Tier 3, which I have never heard of heard of. Anybody ever seen these guys?

I may be there, but I'm not sure.

Aloha,

Brad

Well unfortunately we missed the first band, Tier 3 but got to Barrymore's in time to catch most of Lowtide and Groovebug.

First of all I have a love/hate thing going on for Barrymore's. It is indeed a beautiful room. Huge stage, good sound, balconies, chandeliers..... pretty sweet room. Unfortunately the people in said room always seem to piss me off. The place is packed with complete moron lemmings. People pushing me out of their precious way all night, no room to dance and the basic meat-market ambiance. Ten steps in the door and already I'm wishing I stayed at home.

We caught Lowtide. From what I could tell they were pretty tight and definitely got that crowd going. They weren't jammy and all their songs seemed to stay in the 4-5 minute range. A good band, just not my bag.

I was excited to see The Groovebug. I love horns and congos and keys and this 9 piece band had them all. Unfortunately their show lacked in the energy department. I got absolutely no vibe off them at all. They were tight and well rehearsed and put on a show that the average person could appreciate. Lots of expensive equipment up there, but aside from a brief drum solo and a sax solo no one stood out, no one did anything out of the ordinary and funk song after funk song sounded pretty much the same. The lead singer was sort of annoying with his gyrating hip actions and most frustrating of all was the percussion dude just sitting behind his 5 congos and bongos in his sunglasses. He may have hit them about 20 times during the whole show. He seemed pretty attached to the shaker that none of us could hear. With a beat as good as the one the drummer was laying out, and the equipment set-up he had, I expected a lot more from the percussion dude. Very, very disappointing.

Sad excuse for a guitar solo as well. (Yes, there was just one in the whole show). And I'm not sure the keyboard was even turned on. I didn't hear it at all.

I left there thinking that I have indeed become a music snob and have set very high standards for the bands I pay money to see. Prefabricated music does very little to move me. I don't dance for the sake of dancing. I dance because the music makes me and aside from a Maceo Parker cover tune (My Baby Loves You - one of my favorites) my feet were firmly planted in one spot. That to me is a sign that I didn't enjoy myself. [Frown]

Ah well, when you check out new things, you're bound to hit and miss sometimes right?

I don't think you're a snob, you just have higher standards, need specific elements, and know what you want. Snobbery involves rejecting something for reasons that don't matter (e.g., because the band is from a particular town, or wears the wrong clothes, or whatever); rejecting a band because they don't match your well-honed musical tastes is just personal preference.

I do have one (minor) disagreement with you, though: I find the sound at Barrymore's to be wildly inconsistent, and sometimes just bad. I've only had to use earplugs once at Dekcuf (for a Colepaugh show), but in a lot of places at Barrymore's (e.g., the top-level bar, up near the bathrooms), the sound is flat-out brutal, usually requiring earplugs.

Aloha,

Brad, Glad He Stayed Home And Slept

As to the whole different / higher standard thing, yes, different may be a better term, but when I use "higher", I'm referring to what I'd call meta-musical elements: things like playing with passion, giving your all, respecting the audience, etc.

I didn't mean that a particular musical style (jamming, jazzy, horns, etc.) was better than another (which I don't believe at all), just that a lot of what Ms. H didn't like had to do with the band not giving off a good vibe, lacking energy, etc.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived