Jambands.ca

drunk in indonesia

afro poppa

so right now I am in Jogjakarta in central Java, in Indonesia

just stumbled across the street from a restaurant to my first internet connection in a week to tell you all about my travels :)

I arrived in jakarta a week ago and have since taken a train across java island for about 10 hours to get to jogjakarta, from there taken a bus to this temple called borobudur

if you can google borobudur, it is one of the most stunning places on earth...my mexican friend and i spent two nights at a guesthouse more or less at the foot of the temple..and then we went back to jogjakarta (which is a big town in the middle of java island) and have spent a couple days here just hanging out and buying local art (batik) and just enjoying life...tomorrow he goes to malaysia and i stay in indonesia but go to bali for a week...then its back to hong kong!!!

i hope everyone is doing well

ari

oh, btw Ari...if you can, get to the small town nearby called Solo..rent a bike and tour around the countryside, keeping your ears open for the sound of gamelan....there's a raft of small fabrication shops (basically the back rooms of family homes) where you can watch traditional artisans making the various sizes of gamelan gongs(?) which are then sold all over Indonesia.....

oh yeah...eat plates and plates of gado-gado for me! :P

CJ/DEM did you do a lot of biking there?

do you think indonesia would be tough to bike across? in terms of condition of roads, mountains, parts, etc.?

i know a dutch dude that did it but he is crazy and biked from holland to australia so his opinions don't really mesh with someone like me!

i thought indonesia might be an interesting bike trip for me and V to do sometime, before we get too old ;)

CJ/DEM did you do a lot of biking there?

do you think indonesia would be tough to bike across? in terms of condition of roads, mountains, parts, etc.?

i know a dutch dude that did it but he is crazy and biked from holland to australia so his opinions don't really mesh with someone like me!

i thought indonesia might be an interesting bike trip for me and V to do sometime, before we get too old ;)

We only ever (gasp) rented a car, for a day, when we were there (eek - left-hand drive), but took the bus and train everywhere else. All the islands have their idiosynchrasies; Java I seem to remember being very flat, Sumatra all hilly and forested, Bali particularly hilly in the interior.... Poppa could probably give a good play-by-play on all that, though :) .