Jambands.ca

bye bye belinda

AD

Belinda Stronach to leave politics

Apr 11, 2007 12:25 PM

Canadian Press

AURORA, Ont. — Belinda Stronach says she won’t stand for re-election as a member of Parliament in the next election and will become executive vice-chairwoman of Magna International Inc., the giant auto parts firm.

She said today she is always assessing the best role she can play in public life, and, “after being encouraged by members of the corporate leadership at Magna to return, I have decided that the timing of my return to the business should not be delayed.â€

Her father, Frank Stronach, is the founder and chairman of Magna.

She said her father “is looking to the future, the company is facing important strategic decisions, and the Canadian and global auto sector and economy is in a period of great challenge.â€

She said she’s “stepping aside from elected politics for the time being and will now take part in public life in a different way."

She didn't do much to show people she was anything more than a spoiled rich kid playing in politics.

besides propping up a party and avoiding an election?

there was someone on TV yesterday saying that her move to the liberals was the best strategic move for the conservatives.. if the liberals had lost that vote (was it the same sex vote? i can't remember), it would have forced the conservatives to run an election campaign that they were completely unprepared for. by hanging around a bit longer because of stronach's move, the conservatives were able to get organised and ultimately win the next election.

don't know if it was as orchestrated as the guy thinks, but coincidence still makes pretty interesting stories.