Jambands.ca

Covered better than the original ~ SendSpace links inside~

fluffhead77

....Was just listening to the live at Sin-e version of I shall be Released as covered by Jeff Buckley and I'm under the impression that it truly is better than the original. What a voice that man had....

So I decided to start a thread dedicated to versions of songs that have surpassed their makers version.

Buckley actually pulls two off, Hallelujah by lenoard Cohen being the other...both of which I've included in here.

I encourage y'all to share your thoughts and songs...

Halleujah and I shall be released

Mad World by Gary Jules (from the Donnie Darko soundtrack) is a haunting masterpiece and better than the dated upbeat 80's original by Tears For Fears.

Unfortunately for me, this version will always be associated in my mind with hearing somebody's painfully sincere and painfully 3/4 tone flat rendition of it at a Karaoke bar.

Some of these are barely a hair's breadth but I give the nod to the covers :

War Pigs - Faith No More (the drums are better)

The Boxer - Emmylou Harris w. The Whites

Why Not Your Baby - Velvet Crush (original by Gene Clark, but the pedal steel in this version just pushes it over the top)

Street Fighting Man - Rod Stewart (so close it might well be a tie)

Who Loves The Sun - Teenage Fanclub

She May Call You Up Tonight - Sid 'n' Susie (Matthew Sweet/Susannah Hoffs , original version by the Left Banke)

Bob never officially recorded the song, but during the Dylan/Cash sessions in feb. '69 an incomplete take was recorded of Bob singing it.

I have it on some collection but for the life of me can't remember which one. I know its not on the Dylan/Cash boot. I'll poke around for it, but right now my Dylan collection is a bit unorganized, but I'm sure that a quick query over at Dylanpool would solve that.