Jambands.ca

Gold Cup Final Outdraws Stanley Cup Final

Booche

Further proof that the US doesnt care about hockey and that the league is in more trouble than any of you putzes realize.

The CONCACAF Gold Cup final attracted 41 percent more television households in the United States than the Stanley Cup finals clincher -- and that was just for the soccer game's Spanish-language telecast.

The United States' 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Mexico on Sunday received a 2.5 fast national rating on Univision, the network said Tuesday. That translates to 2.83 million households, nearly double the 1.48 million homes that watched the 2005 Gold Cup final between the United States and Panama.

This year's English-language telecast was on the Fox Soccer Channel, which is available in about 30 million homes and is not rated.

Anaheim's series-ending 6-2 victory over Ottawa in the Stanley Cup on June 6 received a 1.8 rating on NBC, which comes to 2,005,000 households.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and a ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.

http://www.sportingnews.c...rn/viewtopic.php?t=228422

Guest Low Roller

If they want to attract Joe Q. American I think that the NHL needs to make more of a show out of it. It's too conservative white collar right now to draw a major following in the States.

- Insitute an Intermission Show with people like Snoop Dogg performing and get rid of the tireless endless analysis of pure whitebread stiffs with no personalities. (see: that link that Ollie posted of the guy writing a blog during the draft...)

- Increase fighting. The crowd goes nuts for a good fight.

- You will all hate me for this, but bring back the FOX PUCK! The most common critique I get from people in the UK about hockey is that they have no idea where the puck is when they watch the game.

Guest Low Roller
but bring back the FOX PUCK

Well' date=' its a good thing you arent running the show.[/quote']

Just cause you're used to it, watching hockey for four decades, doesn't mean that it's easy for someone new to follow the game.

It's what every English bloke is telling me when I show them some hockey clips.

That has been a long standing argument from people that dont watch the game.

I'm not saying it is easy but I dont watch golf and I wouldnt want some computerized graffic following the flight of the ball for me. That's what video games are for. You end up getting used to it. Same with anything else you arent familiar with. Take an English chap to a baseball game and ask them how difficult it is for them to figure out the flight of the ball on popups. Its like a cat that hasnt quite figured out their depth perception within a new living space.

Anyways, the glowing puck was a MISERABLE experiment and completely took away from the integrity of the experience.

Hockey is like soccer in the sense that it's not about following the puck/ball. If you start keying-in on following the puck and/or ball, both games are not that easy to follow since there's far too much going on in other related aspects during live play.

Guest Low Roller

I prefer the golf analogy to the soccer one, because I find the soccer ball easy to follow. I agree there is more to soccer than just following the ball, but has the cameraman ever lost sight of the white ball? Doubt it. How many times does the cameraman on HNIC have no clue where the puck is? Often. At least in golf they don't bother trying to follow the ball. I never did when I played golf either, I just knew to automatically head for the woods, because that's where my ball would most likely be. ;)

Guest Low Roller
Not sure how they market in the states, but I sincerely hope they dont show those generic MY NHL commercials.

The sport should be good enough to hold it's own if marketed correctly, imo anyway.

Are you talking about the ones where Joe Thornton burns his toast, or where Ovechkin orders a bunch of room service to Sidney Crosby's room? Those are hilarious and I think they SHOULD have more of those. Giving the players a freaking personality is exactly what this sport needs.

- You will all hate me for this, but bring back the FOX PUCK! The most common critique I get from people in the UK about hockey is that they have no idea where the puck is when they watch the game.

Yes, i hate that 'solution'. Fuck, I can't see where the hell the ball is when i see golf on TV. I can't see wtf is going on when i see cricket on TV. I get dizzy watching NASCARS make one left turn after another after another, etc. I can't see the fucking ball on a pop fly in baseball on TV. Have you ever tried following the ball in squash, raquetball or jai alai????

Viewers have to learn the basics of the game and how it 'flows'. TV viewers then can interpret in their thick little skulls, where the fuck the play is going :)

::rant off::

Drop the puck.

i find myself decreasing the brightness and increasing th contrast of my screen when watching hockey just to help out a bit.

i'd have to agree with allowing more fighting- i suspect it was the PTA or some such org that brought on the movement to stomp it out in the first place.

sadly, if it were Canada-US in the gold cup final that'd likely be the worst case scenario, viewershipwise- i would imagine that at least 75% of that 2.83 million households were cheering for the mexicans and a lot of them wouldn't necessarily have tuned in had mexico not been in it

anyway maybe more shots of skimpy-clad cheerleaders doing their schtick on the ice at imtermission would help.

[color:#cccccc]i know it'd do me some good

Guest Low Roller
el markov pasa a los higgins, pasos de los higgins al koivu, él tira

GGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOLAGOLAGOLAGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

That would be fucking awesome.

Guest Low Roller
- You will all hate me for this' date=' but bring back the FOX PUCK! The most common critique I get from people in the UK about hockey is that they have no idea where the puck is when they watch the game.[/quote']

Yes, i hate that 'solution'. Fuck, I can't see where the hell the ball is when i see golf on TV. I can't see wtf is going on when i see cricket on TV. I get dizzy watching NASCARS make one left turn after another after another, etc. I can't see the fucking ball on a pop fly in baseball on TV. Have you ever tried following the ball in squash, raquetball or jai alai????

Viewers have to learn the basics of the game and how it 'flows'. TV viewers then can interpret in their thick little skulls, where the fuck the play is going :)

::rant off::

Drop the puck.

You have absolutely no business sense, do you?

Sportsnet (wait, I think I meant CBC) is expecting the upcoming U-20's to attain their highest ratings ever for a sporting event. I shit you not. I read it in the paper today but I have no idea how realistic that goal is.

800,000 tickets have been sold. That is outstanding! Speaking of which, I have yours on me Barrett.

Edited by Guest
wrong network

The NHL needs to realize it is a regional game. So Canada and the North Eastern US are the biggest markets. It also needs to realize that it is a gate receipt driven league. With little or no TV Deals and limited merchandise revenue the league needs to live within it's means.

The salary cap was just the start. If the owners want to see their teams as toys and spend foolishly that's fine with me. However if they want them to be profitable the league will have to change.

I foresee two scenarios...

1. The league reduces to 20 teams or so in good strong markets.

2. It expands to Europe in some manner.