Jambands.ca

Harmony Universal Programmable Remote

bouche

Has anyone else tried a Harmony Remote?

We had a couple of gift certificates for the Future Shop (Thanks WORK!) and sharon's been frustrated with having to use 4 remotes to watch tv. I saw a demo on TV for a Harmony remote so I thought I'd look further.

The thing is pretty remarkable. You connect it to your PC and it downloads all of the information for your devices (AVR, HDTV, DVD, PVR...) that you specify and then walks you through a series of steps to "Watch PVR", or "Watch a DVD". IT's activity based so you tell it what devices are used to watch a DVD and what inputs you use on your tv and source for your AVR.

Once you go through that for all of your activities, the software updates the remote and VOILA! You just hit the "watch tv" button and your tv turns on, switchs to the component input, turns on the PVR, sets it to a favourite channel, turns on AVR and selects the proper A/V source and you're watching tv. To watch a DVD, you do the same thing and hit the "Watch a DVD" button and it all gets setup for that.

If you run out of buttons for some PVR features (like hitting the "Live" button), there is a little LCD screen with buttons around it so you can program more actions.

They have some really expensive ones with touch screens and rechargeable docking station, but I think the one we have is already way cool.

they are amazing,, i had like 6 remots for my tv, and 5 min after opeing the box You can set it up to do everything for you, it works with anything,, even xbox and shit.

you set it up on your computer so there is no code searching and stuff

i loved mine untill my dog ate it

It don't think it'll work with the wii as it communicates via bluetooth.

It's really facking genius. Logitech should standardize the industry with their programmable remotes. I suppose if you have no internet access, you're SOL, but they could ship these things with an up-to-date database and maybe allow for mailing out updates.

I've been meaning to get one for ages. Every now and then they go on sale at Future Shop and Best Buy. A couple of weeks ago they had one on for $79. I missed out on it :(

If anyone sees these on sale please post. Whenever somebody stays at my place they completely fuck up my system due to all the remotes :P

yeah it when i got my mom one, no more calls asking how to watch a dvd.

it works with anything that has a remote, my ps2 and x box have one u can buy for dvds and stuff. it replaced both those, and was the same price as the 2 of them.

I've been meaning to get one for ages. Every now and then they go on sale at Future Shop and Best Buy. A couple of weeks ago they had one on for $79. I missed out on it :(

If anyone sees these on sale please post. Whenever somebody stays at my place they completely fuck up my system due to all the remotes :P

I saw this on redflagdeals.com, but it says limited quantity, so they may not have any left in stock. The company is based out of the Ottawa area, so maybe some other skanks can vouch for their reliability? Anyway here's the link to the 550:

and the 670:

Edited by Guest

my buddy has one of these, swears by it. my wife wont let me get one

Does she get pissed off when she can't work all of the remotes?

For many wives, they need to see to believe. I just told my wife that I made the purchase ... she was overjoyed :) I'm lucky I guess ... i'll miss her and the kids as they'll be at a cottage all week :(

You got your at Future Shop right? Still got the packaging? Go for a return. Just tell them your wife doesn't like it

2 things. First the packaging had to be cut to get the goddamn thing out so I don't know how that works for returns and second, it was free because we had gift cards.

They are all about pleasing the customer. Ask THEM how the fuck you're supposed to open it without wrecking the annoying packaging.

Just get back the money on another gift card and wait for the next sale :) :) :)

Good luck if you go for it. I'd put my money on you being successful if you go for it.

When my wife got home and found the new remote she picked it up and used it. It worked. It was easy. She loves it!!!!

These remotes pay for themselves in no time. AMAZING.

Great deal on the 670 + rechargable batts:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A0982720

eneloop670.jpg

or, where I got mine:

http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=21393

Lovin' It.

Edited by Guest