Jambands.ca

EPL 2007-2008 Season

MattyC

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game of the year so far for me..

Ashley should have walked for that tackle before half, hes like a spoiled little two year old when the whistle blows on him.. what a massive cock he is.

berbatov really should have buried that.. cudicini made two game saving saves, the berby one and the keane one from earlier.

robinson is useless.

i think that was the 3rd 4-4 game for spurs this year.. crazy.

Shitty news for Defoe, he was just hitting form too.

Portsmouth striker Jermain Defoe is bitterly disappointed to be missing out on a White Hart Lane reunion with Tottenham, but admits to being "proud of himself" for making a success of his January transfer.

Defoe conceded defeat in his battle to nail down a first-team place under Juande Ramos by signing a loan contract at Fratton Park - a deal which soon became permanent.

Both clubs had been under the impression that the former West Ham forward would be available for duty on Saturday due to the change in terms of the deal but an alteration in Premier League rules, brought about after a similar situation with Tim Howard last season, means he will not be allowed to face his former club until next term.

It is another blow for the 25-year-old, who has already missed out on Spurs' Carling Cup victory over Chelsea at Wembley and would be cup-tied if his new side got to the FA Cup final.

But despite those setbacks Defoe, whose fine form in recent weeks has brought him five goals in his last five games, could not be happier with his move.

"I can't play at Spurs, that's for definite," Defoe told talkSPORT.

"I wasn't sure but that's how it is and I'm gutted. But you look at the situation and you say 'I definitely made the right move'. It's important to play football and more importantly to play with good players.

"I'm doing that with Portsmouth and this club is going in the right direction. The crowd are great and I'm getting the chances to score goals.

"I feel sharper than ever, I feel fitter than ever and I could keep running all day."

Defoe also believes he is being denied what would have been a warm reception from his fans in north London.

"I've bumped into a few Spurs fans and they said 'we were really looking forward to you coming back, you're going to get a great reception'."

Defoe was rewarded for his recent exploits in front of goal with a place in Fabio Capello's second England squad, something he rates as one of his priorities after struggling to become a regular during his time at Tottenham.

"I'm quite proud of myself," he said.

"When I was at Spurs I had a hard time, I had some good times there too but it was difficult. Coming to Portsmouth could not have gone any better.

"Going away with England feeling good about yourself is important; you look forward to meeting up with the boys.

"I believe if I do what I'm doing at club level I'll get the opportunity (with England). Then I've got to try and keep the shirt."

Reflecting on a possible international link-up with Wayne Rooney, he added: "Some say little and large is better up front but I don't agree. Look at some of the best football teams in the world - Manchester United play with Rooney and (Carlos) Tevez.

"I've played with Rooney before and it could work."

Thats gotta be a better game than this Everton/ Derby game.

Rangers blew a chance to go 9 clear of the 'Tic. Came back 3 times to draw 3-3 away to Dundee Utd. 7 pts with 2 games in hand. Still in for UEFA, Scottish Cup and SPL, already holding the League Cup. I'm feeling like a kid all over again like its the 9 in a row years.

Edited by Guest

Congrats Davey...I hope you had a few to celebrate and a few more just because.

In even better news...The Riot Police are ready in Manchester. I say just them kill each other. It would do us all a favour.

RIOT POLICE ON STANDBY IN MANCHESTER

Posted 09/04/08 16:33EmailPrintSave

Violent clashes must not be allowed to mar tonight's Champions League clash between Manchester United and Roma, fans have been warned.

Riot police and mounted officers will be on standby to prevent a reoccurrence of the running battles between rival hooligans when the clubs met at Old Trafford in last year's competition.

Fans brawled and fought a pitched battle with police making 21 arrests.

The violence came after fans of the Red Devils were indiscriminately baton-charged by police in the first leg in Rome and three away fans were stabbed.

A massive security operation in Rome last week ensured the first leg of the quarter-final in this year's competition passed off peacefully.

But the Italian side has a notorious following of hooligans, the Ultras, and around 3,800 away fans are expected to travel from the continent.

Match commander Superintendent John Graves, of Greater Manchester Police (GMP), said: "Last week's first leg in Rome passed off largely peacefully and we would like to thank the supporters of both teams for making it a memorable occasion for the right reasons.

"Here, the winner will have the chance to compete in this year's Champions League semi-final.

"We expect a capacity crowd and a large number of people will travel to Manchester to watch the match.

"The police presence in the city centre and around the stadium will be increased to provide public reassurance and minimise disorder and fans are advised to arrive early.

"GMP is used to policing high-profile matches and this is no exception. The operation for this game will ensure the match is held with minimal disruption and that, most importantly, people can have a safe, enjoyable time here.

"We have liaised closely with both clubs in the run-up to this game. Both clubs are extremely responsible organisations, and I am confident that they know that we all carry a responsibility to ensure the game passes off peacefully.

"Europe's eyes will be on Old Trafford once again and our objective is to ensure that the event is memorable for all the right reasons."

United lead 2-0 after the first leg.

• 2 weeks later...