Jambands.ca

The Mars Volta

Tungsten Gruvsten

Really it's like Tool and Radiohead sat in with Buena Vista Social Club instead of Ry Cooder. Or maybe Santana and King Crimson drop acid together. Could simply be the multi-disc soundtrack to the Spanish Inquisition.

Challenging shit sure enough but very musical and hammered home with intense production....mixed by Rich Costey(my new favourite producer/engineer...Wolfmother, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol) it's very sonic - lotsa trickery, dynamics and ear candy.

'Amputechure' is solid, the pounding horns and guitar licks in 'Viscera Eyes' demand volume-cranking. 'Frances the Mute' is laced with wacko Latin references and has a crazy nested song structure and recurring themes ta boot. 'Deloused in the Comatorium' just facking rocks.

They are playing Monday Jan 21st at the Phoenix...new album out soon. Might have to go see them...

http://www.myspace.com/themarsvolta

he plays on a lot of the studio stuff, but doesn't write anything, from my understanding and isn't "in" the band. although maybe he is. they're weird guys.

Edit

Frequent Guests

* John Frusciante - Guitar on "Cicatriz ESP", "L'Via L'Viaquez", entirety of Amputechture except "Asilos Magdalena", The Bedlam in Goliath

I saw The Mars Volta opening up for the Chili Peppers back in Sept. 2006. Frusciante sat in on a couple of songs if memory serves me correctly. A month later I saw them playing at Vegoose and was so blown away that I bought all of their discs.

They are a difficult listen sometimes but their song "The Widow" is basic blues and it's awesome.

I saw The Mars Volta opening up for the Chili Peppers back in Sept. 2006. Frusciante sat in on a couple of songs if memory serves me correctly. A month later I saw them playing at Vegoose and was so blown away that I bought all of their discs.

They are a difficult listen sometimes but their song "The Widow" is basic blues and it's awesome.

i was at the show at the bell center in montreal, i found it was pretty good for sure at timres just too much going on made it hard on the head. Great show though. was front row center

These guys are the best and most innovative sound going on in NEW Rock, saw them open up for the chili's in Sept but the singer was sick so John came out for a jam out, it was ok, I really wanted to hear the singers voice live though, so I got my ticket for Jan 31st! Anyone else coming out to this?

• 3 months later...