Jambands.ca

Have you ever had (or helped organize) a stag & doe?

PalacePrincess

hmpf, thanks a lot phishtaper, see if you get invited next time MamaPink & i dance around to depeche mode & plot evil things in her basement. i may not be lynda, but i look better in my wonder woman outfit than that piece of work. :)

wavinginthewind...who ARE you??? :)

thank you SO much for all the information, people! there are tons of helpful things in here, and i'm open to any more suggestions. i will also likely be back to pester some of you with more specific questions as this all comes together.

hmmmmmm, i wonder if i can talk the wedding party into some diesel dog action... one of the bridesmaids was talking live band... ;)

hmpf, thanks a lot phishtaper, see if you get invited next time MamaPink & i dance around to depeche mode & plot evil things in her basement. i may not be lynda, but i look better in my wonder woman outfit than that piece of work. :)

now dont get all polly pissy, Princess, that's actually a picture of me on my way to negotiate a mortgage on a cute little 2BR rowhouse in the Castro. ;) and you know us new waveheads have to stick together to fight off all that is bland, directionless and self-inflated in music today. give me a good, 2-minute, suicidal, goth tune any day over an hour-long jam. :D

My favourite game and best money maker that i've found are the tooney tosses at bottles of liquor

The last stag and doe I was at this game was by far the biggest $$$$ maker. At the beginning of the game when very few people were paying attention, including myself, the brides brother tossed a toonie a got it within an inch of the 400z bottle of Crown. Nobody could see it and the toonie toss went on for another 20mins or so with everyone oblivious to the fact that there was little chance they could get any closer. The happy couple probably netted about $1000 off this game. A Grand in 30 minutes sounds pretty good to me.

i am huuuuuummmaaaannn and i need to be lo-o-oved...

okay phistaper, you're forgiven. your membership privileges to the i hate rachel green club are officially un-revoked. or reinstated. or whatever fancy official sounding jargon secret handshakes you back in.

loving these tales of quick money-makers, thanks for the tips!

i do have a question, though -- how the heck does one go about securing the big ticket prize items? like trips and stuff? does anyone have any tips or ideas or experience with that?

don't know if anyone said it yet but the Twoonie toss brings in a ton of cash and QUICK!!

Buy a 60 ounce bottle of whatever. Put it on the ground somewhere and set up a "throwing" line about 15-20ft away. Whoever throws their twoonie closest to the bottle wins the bottle.

Didn't read through everything - but saw a post or two re: insurance.

Get PAL insurance and buy it out the wazoo. Its not that expensive (relatively) and you want to be protected. THe hall may or may not have insurance, but the reality is that a Stag & Doe is a piss up and you push booze to make money. If some idiot drives drunk and you end up with 4 quads out of it then I can almost guarantee the injured parties will sue EVERYONE. Hall, organizers, hell even the bride and groom.

The halls insurance may only cover the hall and not private parties. Especially if you supply the booze (and bartenders - 1 per 100 I think it was, meaning 2 if you have 101 people etc. - but my numbers might be off.)

Check out LCBO.com and look around. They have a bunch of info.

But get the insurance. get lots.

Yup, definitely get the PAL.

We had a stag and doe last year and both Todd and I were involved in putting it on (with the much appreciated help of our wedding party). As for any money that had to be fronted, that basically came out of our pockets. I am in agreement with Birdy on that one...

Toonie toss was definitely a big success.

I would definitely push the live band/DD option. Most of the guys in our wedding party were from the Fat Cats and they ended up providing a bulk of the entertainment throughout the night with the kind assistance of Mike from Burt and Mark from Caution Jam. We then had loads of mixed music ready to go for before, in between and after sets. Something for everyone.

I figure if you have access to good music, there is no point forking out money for a DJ. Just provide your musicians/friends with free booze for the night or something.

We probably pulled in some extra party-goers that showed up specifically for the music. Which helped us out in the end, and made for a rockin' night. I think it was also a nice treat for some of my friends and relatives that don't always get the chance to take in some quality live music. Helped me to appreciate further how spoiled many of us are on this board!

Jello shooters are definitely a quick and easy money maker as well. Many places will not "officially" allow you to sell jello shooters (particularly since the most effective way is to have some lovely lookin' ladies circulating the room... as opposed to just keeping them behind the bar)... But as long as your guests can refrain from slinging them around the room, and as long as you have people exercising reasonable judgment in terms of who should be "cut-off" if need be, you should be able to float under the wire...

But definitely get the PAL insurance. Better to be safe than sorry.

And yeah, as for prizes, Ms. H is right, it is amazing what friends and family are able to donate, but particularly through employment connections. I think we had to purchase one or two bigger ticket items just to round out the prizes, but for the most part we had some great stuff donated to us.

Another very easy, good money maker is called "Find the Joker"

Basically you glue/tape a deck of cards face down on a bristol board. Everyone who participates pays five bucks or something to sign their name to the back of a particular card. At the end of the night the person who signed the card that is the joker wins $50. (I think those were the values that we used...I'm sure you could charge more/less and give out more/less if you wanted to)... We ended up going through two different decks for this game. This is a good game to set up at the front door to catch people as they come in (while purchasing their drink/prize tickets, etc).

Have fun!

When my boss had his stag & doe a few years back this one girl who wasn't even invited showed up with someone else and was there for a bit and then went to some other bar and some where else and got into an accident and tried suing him and the bar and I probably Tim Horton's too because she stopped there or something. Anyways, she was a total pain for him the past few years and he just wanted her to go away... Well, wouldn't you know it, she was killed in an accident at the end of last year.