Jambands.ca

Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt

Big Wooly Mammoth

I enjoyed this show.

I have been a Lyle Lovett fan for a while so seeing him was a real treat. Great voice and nice guitar work.

I did not really know any Hiatt and ended up enjoying a lot of it.

Hiatt's guitar playing on some of Lyle's tunes I could have done without though, he's a little amateur when it came to soloing, and not really listening.

Also Lyle's guitar was seriously too loud the entire set...don't know how a sound guy misses that.

The relaxed and witty conversation between tunes was great. Prodding Hiatt on why he had smashed a couple of guitars in the past and felt the need to write a tune about it Lyle Lovett remarked that Hiatt's Catholic upbringing was likely a factor (in confessional sort of light) and that it was good to see that they were making some progress on the stage tonight.

I had a great time at the Ottawa show.

Different yet complimentary writing/playing/singing/on-stage styles.

Lyle composes compelling material rather devoid of cliches/conventions (yet still familiar), while Hiatt more embraces the cliches/conventions while slyly subverting them - if that makes any sense...

Prodding Hiatt on why he had smashed a couple of guitars in the past and felt the need to write a tune about it Lyle Lovett remarked that Hiatt's Catholic upbringing was likely a factor (in confessional sort of light) and that it was good to see that they were making some progress on the stage tonight.

Does that mean he played Perfectly Good Guitar? I so wanted to hear that on Tuesday night, but he didn't play it.

I also enjoyed what Hiatt added to Lyle's songs. I'm a big fan of Hiatt. Would like to see him with a full band one of these days.

Prodding Hiatt on why he had smashed a couple of guitars in the past and felt the need to write a tune about it Lyle Lovett remarked that Hiatt's Catholic upbringing was likely a factor (in confessional sort of light) and that it was good to see that they were making some progress on the stage tonight.

Does that mean he played Perfectly Good Guitar? I so wanted to hear that on Tuesday night' date=' but he didn't play it.

I also enjoyed what Hiatt added to Lyle's songs. I'm a big fan of Hiatt. Would like to see him with a full band one of these days.

[/quote']

I think Lyle's comment was in regard to Hiatt understanding that Hiatt's impoteus to write the tune was derived from his Catholicism....as in "making progress on understanding his own tendancies"...nothing with regard to actual guitar playing.

Steve