Jambands.ca

The Who at the CNE way back in June 1989

Freak By Night

Did anyone here go to this show in Toronto? They played two nights at the CNE, I went the second night on Sat. June 24th.

Having an argument with a co-worker about the opening band, he says there was no opener, I disagree and I remember the opener being a particular legend.

Our googling for info about the opener was fruitless. I still have my ticket stub from the show, but it just says "Q107 presents The Who".

Does anyone here remember? (I won't say who I think the opener was so as to not distort anyone's memory.)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there was an opening band, the 23rd was the kick off of that tour and the show was quite long (first set they performed 'Tommy') and I remember there was a rather long intermission.

[color:red][edit to add]

The 23rd was actually the second show of the 89 tour, Glen Falls 06/21 with no opening act was the first, my mistake.

Edited by Guest

Checking out a Who setlist site, they have a artcle/review from newsweek posted about the Glen Falls show..

The Who - Wed, 21 June 1989:

Glens Falls, NY, Civic Center

See Them! Feel Them!

in: Newsweek, 03-07-1989

The Who's back, again ... And what do audiences expect of The Who in 1989? »They expect us to be present,« he says [sic. Pete Townshend]. »We're just supposed to be there. It's not that it's unimportened what we play or how we play, but it's importent that we're present and that we want to be present. You don't invite people to celebrate your work and then look like you don't want to be at the party.«

If The Who weren't genuinely getting a bang out of this, they did a good job of fooling the crowd in Glen Falls. It's obligatory that Daltrey, 45 swing his mike on it's cord like a lasso, and that Townshend, 44, do his stony stares and synchronize his leaps with slashing guitar chords; his windmilling arm motions are even adcertised on the $20 T-shirts. But why bother to fake the little grins? And why not hire an opening act and do a quick and dirty hour of greatest hits, instead of a three-hour concert that began with numbers from »Tommy«, ended with »Won't Get Fooled Again«, introduced songs from Townshend's new solo album »The Iron Man« and threw in »Twist And Shout« for an encore? A brief moment, maybe for Pete Townshend, but a hell of a show for the money.

http://www.thewholive.de/suche/show_review.php?id=91

I would say by looking at the other 89 dates they didn't have an opener at all.

1989 tour setlists

OK. Looks like people here can't remember an opener, so I might have to agree with that. For some reason, I thought Stevie Ray Vaughan rocked out an opening set before The Who took the stage. I could be wrong.

As they said on Dead tour "Leave only the footprints, take only the memories". Well I've left many a footprint in my time, but the memories are vague at best!

Stevie was playing within travelling distance around that time, but any setlist data base I look at only shows these shows around and on that date...

21jun89 Memorial Auditorium, Burlington, VT

24jun89 Lake Compounce Festival Park, Bristol, CT

25jun89 Great Woods Amphitheater, Mansfield, MA

Had had played in Ottawa, Montreal & Toronto a week earlier.

wasnt that the tour that The Who recorded live for TV? They did a Tommy set in NYC with Elton John and Billy Idol?

Thu, 24 August 1989:

Los Angeles, CA, Universal Amphitheatre

Info

Tommy-Show with special guests: Steve Winwood (Eyesight To The Blind), Patti Labelle (The Acid Queen), Billy Idol (Cousin Kevin), Phil Collins (Uncle Ernie) and Elton John (Pinball Wizard).

;)

Also, SRV opened for, and then kicked Robert Plant's ass around the same time in Toronto.

I still have the ticket stub for that show, it was in may 1988, MLG. :thumbup:

There are DVD copies floating around, but here's a video from that show...

Stevie Ray Vaughan Live In Toronto May 10th 1988 Maple Leaf Gardens Opening For Robert Plant.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/stevie-ray-vaughan-scuttle-buttin/3788920230

I was too pissed at them for touring years after their "farewell tour" to see them in 1989. Although, I did see them again in 2000 (?) at the molson amphitheatre doing Quadrophenia, and again in 2007 in Ottawa.

The 1982 show was one of those very rare experiences (for me) where I can't really remember the show. I remember Joe Jackson stopping his set early due to moron "rockers" throwing beer bottles at him. I was a big Joe Jackson fan and was quite pissed at that. (I would have put myself inthe "mod" category.) I remember the first Who song, and I remember going out for drinks at the Roxy after the show (they would serve us underage kids at the time), but nothing in between. And I had put so much of an effort into getting tix - camping out at the CNE. I remember that night quite well, actually. I also initially had tix for their Rich Stadium show as no Toronto show was announced on the initial set of dates of that tour. After buying the tix we realized the Rich show was on Yom Kippur so some of us couldn't go.

Also' date=' SRV opened for, and then kicked Robert Plant's ass around the same time in Toronto.[/quote']

I still have the ticket stub for that show, it was in may 1988, MLG. :thumbup:

There are DVD copies floating around, but here's a video from that show...

Stevie Ray Vaughan Live In Toronto May 10th 1988 Maple Leaf Gardens Opening For Robert Plant.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/stevie-ray-vaughan-scuttle-buttin/3788920230

Awesome Greg! Thanks. Stevie's the best.