Jambands.ca

Kae Sun shuns the nu funk tag

Schwa.

Kae Sun is completely clueless as to who booked him. If I were an interviewer, i'd have researched this a lot better.

Kae Sun shuns the nu funk tag

BRAD WHEELER - Globe and Mail

February 21, 2008

Who's got the funk? Urban musician Kae Sun is booked to play Clinton's Tavern tomorrow, and although the show is part of a multi-venue nu funk festival, don't ask the Hamilton-based artist what exactly "nu funk" is. "In my opinion, funk is very much alive," says the 25-year-old Sun, who released his EP Ghost Town Prophecy last year. "You can hear it in elements of what hip hop artists and R & B artists do." And the term "nu funk?" "You'd have to ask the guy putting the festival together, but I think it's more of a marketing thing."

Funk music has always been a hybrid of sorts, a mix of soul, jazz and rhythm and blues, famously popularized by the likes of James Brown, Sly Stone and George Clinton, a crazy-great weird-haired pioneer who brings his Parliament-Funkadelic collective to the Phoenix on Monday. Sun, born and raised in Ghana, doesn't regard Clinton as a prime influence on his own music (a blend of spoken word, soul, reggae and spiritual rock), but does count funk-informed hip hop duo OutKast as heroes. As for other shapers - "all across the map" - Sun draws on Bob Marley, K-OS and the sly and lithe Curtis Mayfield. In sum, Sun's package is as hard to define succinctly as it is to describe "funk," a danceable music with more extensions than George Clinton's hair and just as freaky.

I was pretty pissed to read this yesterday. uggh..

Kae Sun phone me today to explain...

... his side of the story is this:

He was completely clueless as to who booked him - he knew it as "Jay from Toronto" not NUFUNK.

He thought he was being asked if his sound was in the genre "NUFUNK" - he said he thought he was more hiphop.

Brad asked him - so do you think this is more of a marketing thing ? Kae Sun then said -yes maybe, you'd have to ask the guy putting the festival together.

words were kinda put in his mouth.

to be fair...a person who isn't well versed in the sub genres and all these new fangled music names doesn't really know that nufunk festival is a festival put on by nufunk productions or whatever jay's calling his enterprise these days (way to go jay keep workin hard)....and could be mistaken for a festival entirely comprised of bands that play nufunk (why do i keep typing nufuck) music. i can see where the confusion came in....

kae sun is actually a very humble person and i don't think he'd intentionally diss any of the people who've helped him along the way to where he is.