Jambands.ca

Park Creation or Park Clean Up - Ottawa

Ms.Huxtable

no to highjack your thread, but some community based arts/social justice orgs in Montreal have done amazing work with an under-used park (referred to as "the park with no name") near my place, turning it into a space for community art projects and street art, community mobilizing, even installing a wood-fired oven for making pay-what-you-can bread and pizza. I love stories like these!

Info:

http://spacingmontreal.ca/?p=10

http://www.dare-dare.org/frameseten.htm

Edited by Guest

I bet Community centres would have great idea's for you-they know lots about neighborhood needs.

I'd love to see some more safe play space in the Rochester/ /Gladestone/Eccles area. I'm not sure if there is space anywhere near there available. We always used to see kids just playing in the street around that old Loab (hey I wonder what if that land is up for grabs).

There is a housing complex (I guess it could even be Minto) in that area that doesn’t seem to have much of a play area., and I’m sire if there is one it could use some uplifting.

The Sommerset West Community Centre may have idea's for that area I mentioned.

Good suggestion. They're a great place to go and probably get tons of feedback from people young and old. I know I was there last week for a playgroup and one lady mentioned theres a park near Primrose (off Preston) that needs cleaning up, cops have put out warnings of needles and such. I imagine a lot of the downtown core parks have the same problem, but I think there should be more of a watch on the ones with playgrounds where kids play.

There is an eyesore stretch of open space on Nicholas St around what looks to be an abandoned UofO building and a terrible looking Sikh facility- this is all behind the Ontario Housing Units on Mann Ave.

A good start would just be to hound Ontario Housing to recycle! Each month when people move/ are evicted OHC just piles all of the junk on the curb and the trash men promptly come and and take it to a landfill.

If I think I know what you are getting at, I vote on a Saturday afternoon jambands downtown clean up party. We should start in the messy park near Delaware Ave.

There is an eyesore stretch of open space on Nicholas St around what looks to be an abandoned UofO building and a terrible looking Sikh facility- this is all behind the Ontario Housing Units on Mann Ave.

In the map posted below (in the next message since it's impossible to do anything properly when HTML is involved), is the blue area what you're talking about Sean? If so, that's a facility belonging to the Iranian Embassy. They won't let you on the land to do anything without their written permission, in advance, so that area can be scratched off the list (unless you want to approach them). The Sandy Hill Arena Park, just beside the embassy facility is fair game though (i think).