Jambands.ca

What an odd Concert

Uncle Chaos

I've seen The Bravery live because they were on a bill at the El Mocambo with From Fiction about three years ago. They were pretty shoe-gazey back then, although I caught them on Kimmel recently and have seen some of their newer videos and they've improved (i.e. become less shoe-gazer). Still, Linkin Park sucks ass and Downsview seems too massive for the STP as headliners, even for nostalgia's sake. The Velvet Revolver have more appeal and relevancy and they don't play venues larger than the Kool Haus, at least in this country.

ORONTO (ONTARIO) FEBRUARY 26, 2008 – Edgefest will make its triumphant return to Toronto in 2008 – with 15 acts confirmed to perform at Downsview Park on July 12th. Multi-platinum Grammy-winning act Linkin Park will be headlining along with newly reunited rock legends Stone Temple Pilots.

Rounding out the headlining bill of incredible talent are Sam Roberts Band, The Bravery, Ashes Divide and Attack in Black. More artists to join in on the festivities will be Arkells, The Coast, Creature, The Flatliners, Hostage Life, Modernboys Moderngirls, The Stereohoax, Sweet Thing, and USS [ubiquitous Synergy Seeker]. These 15 artists bring the rock at Downsview Park all day on two stages.

“After two solid years of planning, we’re proud to present a new era for Edgefest—and to have it headlined by Linkin Park, the biggest-selling new rock artist of the 21st century, is amazing,†said Alan Cross, program director of 102.1 the Edge/Toronto. “To be able to offer the first Canadian show by the reunited Stone Temple Pilots—well, it doesn’t get much better than that. We’re also extremely excited to have The Sam Roberts Band, CASBY winners Attack in Black, and so many other talented artists join us for the day.â€

“There will be a strong eco theme to Edgefest, too. We’re going to do our best to make the festival as green as possible. For example, the unique location of Downsview Park will allow everyone to leave the car at home and take public transit. Linkin Park is the perfect partner for this because they’re committed to environmental issues.â€

The roots of Edgefest go back to the summer of 1987 to what was supposed to be a one-off show to celebrate the Edge’s 10th birthday. But because the day was such a success, the decision was made to turn it into an annual affair. Over the next 20 years, the event was staged at Molson Park (later Park Place) in Barrie, the old Ontario Place Forum and the Molson Amphitheatre. There was also a period in the late ’90s that Edgefest went on the road, embarking on a summer roadtrip that touched down everywhere from Ottawa to Vancouver. During those two decades, Edgefest featured the biggest names in new rock: Tool, Radiohead, Hole, Nickelback, Green Day, Billy Talent, Blur, Our Lady Peace and hundreds of other major label and indie acts.

However, at the end of the 20th anniversary show in 2006, it was decided that Edgefest needed to take a break for a bit. It needed to be dreamed up all over again. And that’s exactly what’s happened.

wait till you hear about rockfest in Chatham...I think backbacons cousin is putting it on.

haha.. news to me. I haven't spoken with any of my cousins in years!

I can imagine:

"Rockfest 2008 in Chatham"

Diesel Dog acoustic

Diesel Dog electric

Diesel Dog jamtronica

Rinse, repeat.

Well, time to go get ready for TMZ.

The Velvet Revolver have more appeal and relevancy and they don't play venues larger than the Kool Haus, at least in this country.

I think they played ScotiaBank Place when they were in Ottawa, no?

“After two solid years of planning, we’re proud to present a new era for Edgefest—and to have it headlined by Linkin Park, the biggest-selling new rock artist of the 21st century, is amazing,†said Alan Cross, program director of 102.1 the Edge/Toronto."

Really?

I do know that [Hybrid Theory] was the top-selling album of 2001 in the United States, and their mash-up with Jay-Z did pretty well, so while it's disgusting it's not necessarily surprising.