Jambands.ca

Seychelles or Zanzibar - Anyone been?

Blane

haven't been to either, but we were considering tanzania recently so i read up on zanzibar and i think it sounds pretty interesting. there is quite a mix of cultures there (>swahili) from the spice traders stopping there so long ago. also the beaches look really nice and there are all your standard activities. no idea about the seychelles.

what about the canaries? or have you been already. those are pretty near you and i've heard good reports of them.

:)

Canaries are good, but I have a friend who'll be in Rwanda working, and we want to go together. Rwanda to Canaries is way tougher than Dakar to either Seychelles or Zanzibar. Looking for a bit of a reality break in a few months. Despite the sunshine living here can be a pretty draining at times. I think I've got about 10x as many grey hairs as I did before I first came! :blush:

so...how long are you gonna be over there for now? maybe we'll visit you in the fall! :)

i'm sure it must be pretty rough living at times, once the novelty wears off and stuff. i hope your vaca is relaxing!

anyway the name zanzibar is just so exotic that it makes me want to go more.

oh i meant to ask you...do you work mostly in french or english there? is their french hard to understand at all?

i'm only here 'till the end of the spring so I probably won't catch up with you, but feel free to hit me up for any info if you like.

Apparently there's an island off of zanzibar called Pemba that is amazing. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have too long to stay. Just enough to hang out on the beach and decompress, and maybe do some diving.

I speak french about 99% of the time outside of the house. Virtually nobody speaks English here. But I happen to live with a mixed family where the husband speaks very little english (fluent in french) and the wife is more comfortable in english than french, so we do a lot of switching at home.

I've got a couple buddies i met in college from seychelles. I've never been but from all the stories and pictures they showed me, It would be a Top notch place for a vacation. Beautiful beaches and waterfalls, Lush Greenery(all kinds of greenery :)) Pretty exciting nightlife to be had too from the stories i've heard.

diving? yes

good diving? not so much.

The western cape of africa gets some pretty heavy current and tide so there's not a whole bunch of nice reef and visibility isn't that hot. Coastal erosion is a big problem here as a result. Better diving is found on the east coast, or on the coastal islands.

Isn't Jonathan Cheechoo or someone from Flin Flon? I'd go there!

Bobby Clarke.

Plus, that's where the government decided to start growing marijuana.

Cheechoo is from Moose Factory. I've actually been there before. There's not too much to see, actually - but it was still an interesting place to visit.

Bobby Clarke.

Plus' date=' that's where the government decided to start growing marijuana.

Cheechoo is from Moose Factory. I've actually been there before. There's not too much to see, actually - but it was still an interesting place to visit.[/quote']

Ahh yes, Moose Factory. I love that name for a northern canadian town. Almost makes you think there's a conveyer belt type machine dumping out little moose into the wilderness :)

• 7 months later...

I am heading to Zanzibar for about 10 days starting on December 22. There's going to be a group of us meeting up there and it looks like we're going to end up staying here:

http://www.shehebungalows.co.uk/

I hear the north of the island is where its at, largely because there is good swimming to be had at low and high tide, but it seems to be pretty booked up. Shehe is on the east side.

I'm hoping to do some diving as well, and also to spend a night in Stone Town to see what there is to see there.

Any tips Blane or anyone on things to see/do, places to stay, places to eat, etc?

hey Kev,

Hope all's going well in Uganda! Keep me posted on your adventures. As far as zanzibar, I never eded up going. I only went to Seychelles. If memory serves though, there was a lot of good info available on the Lonely planet discussion boards, and my friend that I went with had heard that Pemba is an amazing island, near Zanzibar.

You want to spend your holiday's at The Zanzibar, impressive.

A

Zanzibar Tavern‎ - more info »

359 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON M5B 1S1, Canada - (416) 977-4642‎

Write a review

"Name: Zanzibar Address: 359 Yonge St, Toronto, ON, Canada Phone: (416) 977-4642 Nude Club, Couch Dances, 10 Female Dancers, Dances $20, Full Bar Drinks: $7.25, Lunch/Dinner, Min Age 19, No Cover, Dress Code, No Features, Everyone Welcome, ..."

Neil Young's granny used to work in a copper mine and entertain the miners with piano playing...

And Mike Myers as "Donnie Shulzhoffer" makes a great reference to Flin Flon in the Hocky Flick "Mystery,Alaska" a la Don Cherry style...

That's gotta be of some interest for a vacation destination... :content: