Jambands.ca

guitar theory?

SolarGarlic

Hey guitar enthusiasts...looking to put some pieces together and try to understand this instrument a bit better. Any advice on books, websites, tips that will get me started on theory? Looking for gradual steps or a progression based study method that builds up as it goes along. Basically, it needs to start from the beginning as I'd like to fill in as many gaps as possible.

Been playing (trying) for just over a year and though I've got some chords, strumming, a few scales and a number of basic favourite tunes down, Im looking for something a little more cerebral.

Suggestions? Im gonna most likely get some formal lessons going in the future but am pretty comfortable working on my own still. I have an "in house" expert but being taught by a loved one doesn't always seem to fly ;)

Love to hear what people think....

Cheers!

I'd suggest getting yourself one or two people to Jam with, really. May sound a little typical for the board and all but I found that loose jamming within the constructs of what you already know will open doors and you can begin to explore new territiory and improvise in a sort of musical conversation with others. This may help you achieve that cerebral satifaction you're looking for. Make mistakes, stumble through the river and wipe out a few times even!

Good luck with it and have fun....it ain't all a big rock and roll show...

g

It has been great having a worthwhile hobby...even if it means obsessing over guitars and amps and gear and such that I can't even play with any real skill! Fun is definitely the name of the game here....

story of my life, man... story of my life

i agree that jamming with a few friends will help open up new avenues. there are lots of online tutorials out there, maybe try pootube

I think "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer is a great book for any guitarist. It covers a little of just about everything (scales, chords, rhythms,guitar set-up, everything!). It's a great reference book to have kicking around when you need a question answered and all your friends are busy.

Oh, loop pedals are good times too!