Jambands.ca

Tempeh Picatta with Kale and Whole-wheat Spaghetti

bouche

I found this recipe while going through the weightwatchers site. Who wants to try it out?

[float:left]1207317576-tempepiccata_n_lg.jpg[/float]

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp olive oil

16 oz tempeh, cut into 16 triangles (wild rice variety recommended)

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, squeezed from 2 lemons

1 Tbsp lemon zest

1/2 cup vegetable broth, or water

1 Tbsp capers, small

1/4 tsp table salt

1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground

1 Tbsp raw arrowroot

1/4 cup parsley, fresh, chopped

1 sprays cooking spray, (5 one-second sprays per serving)

1 small onion(s), chopped (about 1/3 cup)

8 cup kale, fresh, chopped (about 2 bunches)

2 cup cooked whole-wheat spaghetti, kept hot

Instructions:

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh triangles and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side; remove from skillet and keep warm.

Add lemon juice and zest, broth, capers, salt and pepper to same skillet; bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Remove 2 tablespoons of liquid and place in a small cup; stir in arrowroot and then pour arrowroot mixture into skillet. Increase heat to medium-high until boiling; boil until slightly thickened and then stir in parsley. Add tempeh to skillet; remove skillet from heat, cover and keep warm.

Coat another large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add kale, cover and cook 3 minutes more. Uncover, stir and cook 2 minutes more.

To serve, place 4 pieces of tempeh and 1/2 cup each of spaghetti and vegetables on each of four plates; spoon 1/4 cup of lemon sauce over each portion and serve.

Ok to qualify my blanket statement...with my eyes closed the italian brands (Da Cecco, Barilla's whole wheat line, etc) are indistinguishable from their whitebred cousins.

Maybe I'm a snob but pasta for me is all about the noodle quality, just as sushi could be made with the finest tuna but if the rice was poor than it's all for naught.