Jambands.ca

Five Disc Rotation

mr_pinchy

Guest Low Roller

I bought the new NMAS album "Polaris" last week, and I gave it plenty of opportunities to impress me. Unfortunately it has run out of chances. I find only three tunes on the disc to be worthwhile listens, and the rest of the CD is pretty lame. Imagine a hard-hitting blues band deciding to do radio-friendly pop tunes, and that's what you get with Polaris: a bomb. And not the good kind.

Four words: guest vocalist Noel Gallagher.

I'm still gonna go to the show at Barrymore's, and it's at that point that I will be passing my final judgement on these boys.

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

quote:

Originally posted by Blane:

Wilco- (the first one, D1&2)

Because I'm a dink...

"Being There" was released in 1998, IIRC (great album, BTW), but it's actually their second album - there was an earlier one from '95 called "A.M."

...close, "being there" was 1996, actually...and if anyone is really interested, tweedy and stirrat, wilco's mainstays, were part of uncle tupelo with jay farrar prior to A.M., and they did some really cool shit...check out the Anthology if you're interested...oh, and cuz im a wilco geek, i'll pass this along, too...Max Johnston, great multi-instrumentalist, a listed member on A.M., is now part of the Gourds...the band that does that infamous Gin & Juice...if anyone had the pleasure of seeing them at the Horseshoe back in March, you know how great he is at everything he touches....banjo, mandolin, dobro, fiddle, etc....check them out, too, if it tickles your fancy....

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

Dishonourable Mentions:

North Mississippi All Stars - Polaris (weak weak weak studio effort by NMAS)

How/why does it get the "weak" description? I've heard good things about the NMAS; is this their latest record (i.e., probably what they'll be featuring at Barrymore's)?

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dishonourable Mentions:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How/why does it get the "weak" description? I've heard good things about the NMAS; is this their latest record (i.e., probably what they'll be featuring at Barrymore's)?

I've never really been big on any of the NMAS cds - i've heard they put on a great show, but, to date they do little for me...with the exception of their contribution on "The Word".

quote:

Dishonourable Mentions:

Agreed Low Roller. I had to turn it off. My worries about the band are true. They are turning classic rock. When they played the blues, the All Stars brought were a breath of fresh air to the jam scene. With two weak and disappointing albums in a row, I'm no longer going to the concert in Toronto on October 1st, and I'm off that night! They are waaaay to influenced by the music that their father produced in the 70s.

Guest Low Roller

Although I have abondonned the NMAS studio stuff, I'll still give them the benefit of the doubt as far as delivering a solid live show. I will still go to the show in Ottawa on the 2nd, but I'll bring a basket filled with fruit that is in turn filled with rocks and bees just in case.

The only tracks that are worth my time on Polaris are 1,8, and 9.

Archived