Jambands.ca

Computer Nerds, Help!!!

Schwa.

I have been having some problems with my computer lately and thought someone here may know whats up or at least start me in the right direction.

Just today this shit started happening. Everything is moving slower like my video card is crapping out. BUt then everything i play for music whether it is on winamp, media player or whatever is not keeping up either so that makes me think its not the video card. ( if that can even happen at all)

When i am typing on this site, my cursor can't keep up with the speed of my typing and when i delete it is even worse. Help, i have no idea how to fix this bullshit.

Thankfully yours,

Schwa (a computer dumbass [Roll Eyes] )

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you are aving memory issues. Make sure you run the defrag, scan disk and disk cleanup weekly. Also, if you have a ton of stuff on your desktop, take it off.

Your computer looks at that stuff all the time and that slows down the processor. Make sure you have ample room on your harddrive. And check your program files for unneeded or unwanted software. Use the add/remove software from the control panel to get stuff off properly, then delete the files in your program files directory.

Sometimes, if it has been while since your last format, your computer just gets cluttered from internet stuff and shit that gathers as your computer does its thing (install logs and temp data etc). You may just want to backup and reformat altogether. This should speed shit up.

Good luck

Schwa,

I was getting the same problem with mine...slow cursor etc.

I do the same things Tony mentions, Norton system works is what I use to clean this sucka up,and I still need to remove about 17GB of music off one drive and 9GB off the other to get moving again,it makes a huge difference for me,but with the constant downloading I de-frag at least once a week if not two(dam P2's).

You should see a difference after a de-frag and clean-up.

Cheers~

If you're running Win2000, right AFTER (sorry, not before) the windows graphic shows up, it'll say "for troubleshooting and advanced start-up options press F8"

press F8 - then select "safe mode" - sometimes it takes a loooong time to start-up in safe mode. be patient.

If you have Win 98 - I forget when it shows up, but it's very similar.

You're probably getting a little overwhelmed by this so here's list of steps from these other posts:

1. Boot to Safe Mode

2. Run Scandisk (from the system tools menu)

3. When scandisk is complete, run defragmenter from the system tools menu

4. Ensure your system is clear of viruses, and that you've updated your virus scanner (whatever flavour you're using)

5. go to windowsupdate.com and ensure your computer is updated.

For defragmenting, I've been using a program called Diskeeper. It defragments your hard drive and can constantly defrag if the computer is inactive or if there are resources free. You can specifiy when it should do this so it doesn't slow you down considerably while you're using your computer. If none of these tricks work I would suggest backing up your data and formatting your hard drive. That's always made the biggest difference for me...a clean start. You can never truly get rid of all the junk on your computer unless you wipe your hard drive completely and it sounds like you have two of them so it's not hard to do. Hope this helps a little.

Oh, and you can download diskeeper full from kazaa...for trial purposes only of course [smile]

OK, i just got the fucker to safe mode. I did all the prerequisite stuff. No trojans, no viruses BUT now when i get to safe mode it tells me that the computer can't detect a mouse and so i can't get into the goddamned start menu to do the fucking defrag!!!!!! i just kicked my bed across the room and am doing some deep breathes before i break something. What the fuck. any ideas how to get to the Start menu without a mouse or one of those nifty start buttons on my keyboard?

Eureka. I hit Ctrl+Esc and that brought up the Start Menu. I was able to get to the ScanDisk and Defrag from there. [big Grin][big Grin]

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I am at a buddies house now, which is where i was supposed to be about 3 hours ago to meet with a client of his, which added to the tantrum that i was about to unleash upon my poor unsuspecting bedroom. I missed the client but my pooter is defragging as i type this. I will be able to let those who helped me know if anything was fixed tonight.

Thanks again,

Jeff

I guess we forgot to mention that if you have a USB mouse it would not work in safe mode [big Grin]

Okay - you're on the right track. That being said, scandisk and defrag are only the first few steps. I have little faith that that alone will resolve your issues. Make sure you get right on the virus steps listed in previous posts after that. If you still have problems let us know!

If your window is more than one story above ground, disconnect your computer from your monitor and hurl it through the window. Then go down to the ground floor, get your car, and run the computer bits over, repeatedly. Once complete, collect the little bits and put them all into a heavy (preferably cast iron) pot and place them on a gas stove with the burner set to high. Cover and let cook for 4 hours. After 4 hours, remove the pot (careful, it'll be hot), walk into the yard, and pour it into a large hole. Salt the earth when you cover it over so that nothing will ever grow there. Buy yourself an abacus and enjoy the rest of your life.

(I'm having a bad work day.)

Love and peace!

Archived