Jambands.ca

puppy name help

meggo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puppy Tips:

This has worked really well for our last 2 dogs. As soon as you know there's going to be a huge thunderstorm, or fireworks, be sure to get up and PLAY with your puppy. Even if it's the middle of the night. Sounds silly, but so often puppy's are in their crates or all alone during these times and that scares the bejesus out of 'em.

My two dogs are completely diff personalities, but neither one of them even wakes up during thunder storms or fireworks :)

Another nice thing for them while you're gone is to leave an item of your clothing (that you've recently worn) in their crate.

Remember, they also have short-term memory. If you come home and they've had an "accident" don't scream and yell at them or stick their nose in it. You can only enforce that if you "catch them in the act".

Puppies rock.

It has come to my attention that some people may think I actually hate my dog based on lack-of-purple-font. Before puppy-services ends up at my door, please be advised that we are very much in wuv and I haven't stopped laughing since she got here :)

Remember, they also have short-term memory. If you come home and they've had an "accident" don't scream and yell at them or stick their nose in it. You can only enforce that if you "catch them in the act".

I can't believe people believe this.

What is that based on?

My wife taught at a puppy school and it is commonly agreed upon by trainers that it is not a good way to potty train dogs. Quick search of the web and you'll come up with the same info (i'm sure BradM can find some good ones):

http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=A&articleID=177

http://www.google.ca/search?q=rubbing+your+dog%27s+nose+in+it&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Edited by Guest

its based on operant conditioning, the basic principle that underlies animal training by skinner. call it cause and effect training, if you wish. animals do not have the ability to adjust temporal proximity. when they are rewarded (or scolded) they are unable to equate that with an activity they undertook hours, even minutes ago. to reinforce good behaviour, the reward must come immediately after that behaviour.

when you scold the dog hours after taking a dump, they equate that scolding with having either taken the dump in general or more problematically, you having just arrived home. they are unable to equate it specifically with having taken the dump in the wrong place, even if you rub their nose in it.

on this line, i would also very strongly recommend crate training. its well worth it.