Jambands.ca

Ottawa Folk Festival

Big Wooly Mammoth

The full schedule has been posted. Some interesting conflicts on Friday night.

Donna the Buffalo is playing Friday night AND Saturday afternoon at 1:30.

Country Joe McDonald is playing Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

Note that the printed schedule isn't entirley correct - it seems to be missing Thursday night for one thing. And the Artists schedule, for example, only has one DTB appearance.

Friday August 15 – Evening Schedule

Main Stage

Hosts: Chopper McKinnon, Karen Flanagan McCarthy and Tom Power

Albert Dumont (Aboriginal greeting)

Arthur McGregor (O Canada)

6:05 Ana Miura

7:00 Bryan Bowers

7:45 intermission + Yoga Break

[color:red]8:00 Jerry Douglas and His Band

9:00 Dala

[color:red]9:45 Broken Social Scene

Dance Tent

5:30 Genticorum, Benoit Bourque

7:00 Spiral Beach

[color:red]8:30 Donna the Buffalo

[color:red]10:00 Big Bad Bluegrass Jam featuring Jerry Douglas, D.Rangers, Dan Whiteley, Chris Barkley, The

Experimental Farmers and Doug Cox

Hall Stage

5:30 Round-Robin: "Good Vibrations" – Catherine MacLellan, The Healing Divas, Radoslav Lorkovic,

Doug Cox (host)

7:00 Claire Jenkins Avec Band

8:30 "Doc's Pick" – The Carolina Chocolate Drops, Jaxon Haldane, Anne Davison, Timothy Mason, Doc

(host)

10:00 The Carolina Chocolate Drops

The rest is on the website....

I may have to get a pass given two DTB performances. The day tickets are kind of costly (in comparison to the Bluesfest, for example) at $42 advance and $49 at the door. A full pass is $80 until August 10th.

way to fracture the saturday audience, folkfest - put sarah harmer on at the same time as the sadies. stupid move.

everyone go see the d.rangers.

also, the workshop with Travis and Dallas with members of Broken Social Scene could be cool.

i think i will be trying to catch...

thursday

9:00 - Don Ross & Andy McKee - CBC Radio recording session

10:00 - Vieux Farka Touré - CBC Radio recording session

friday

8:00 - Jerry Douglas and His Band

10:00 - Big Bad Bluegrass Jam featuring Jerry Douglas, D.Rangers, Dan Whiteley, Chris Barkley, The Experimental Farmers and Doug Cox

saturday

8:30 - Ball and Chain and The Wreckers

10:00 - The Sadies

10:15 - Sarah Harmer

anything else that shouldn't be missed? (i can't go on sunday)

You don't want to miss Donna the Buffalo. I've been hearing great things about them for years, but have never actually caught a show. I own one studio CD, and I can't say that it gets much airplay - I just don't think that it's that good. BUT I really respect the opinion of those who have been raving about their live shows and will definitely be catching them.

Not happy that they are overlapping with Jerry Douglas on Friday night.

You don't want to miss Donna the Buffalo. I've been hearing great things about them for years, but have never actually caught a show. I own one studio CD, and I can't say that it gets much airplay - I just don't think that it's that good. BUT I really respect the opinion of those who have been raving about their live shows and will definitely be catching them.

There are almost 300 recordings of Donna The Buffalo at:

http://www.archive.org/details/DonnatheBuffalo

Aloha,

Brad

AD they didn't fracture the audience on purpose- The Sadies requested the Dance Hall Tent Stage due to its "no lawnchair policy". Apparently they'd prefer a dancing crowd to a sit down stunned audience.

Some of the bands have been hired for the whole weekend to accomodate the after hours volunteer party on Saturday night.

Also if you need to catch the Sadies AND Sarah Harmer- you can watch the Sadies and then make the trek out to Kanata where Sarah is playing a benefit show at the Brookfield? hotel later on Saturday night.

I'll be the guy with the clipboard and walkie talkie in a black production shirt if you make it out, come and see me.........I am Crew Chief for the weekend!

Sean

Also if you need to catch the Sadies AND Sarah Harmer- you can watch the Sadies and then make the trek out to Kanata where Sarah is playing a benefit show at the Brookfield? hotel later on Saturday night.

I think that'd be the Brookstreet hotel, the official hotel of the Ottawa Folk Festival.

Aloha,

Brad

i really enjoyed the d. rangers last night, they had the dance tent party goin on! great fun stuff.

bob ross was eh, i know he's amazing but the music is kinda boring.

vieux farka toure was good, but we were so tired.

LOVE the site. absolutely gorgeous! had an awesome meal from the green door booth, and watched a beautiful sunset and sailboats. it made me feel like i was back home again :)

D Rangers played an hour or so that included a sweet run of....

Catfish John

War Pigs>

Folsom Prison Blues (I shit you not!)

And they were the best act of the night IMO. They play as part of the Bluegrass Jam with Jerry Douglas tonight and they were shitting themselves backstage last night talking about how stoked they were for this one.

Don and Andy were true gentlemen, hanging out in the production area having a few beers; Brooke was also there too. Vieu Farka Toure were good, but not over the top great till the end of the set. Had they had another half hour who knows what they would have done, I felt like they were just hitting their stride when it was time to get them to the airport and on a plane.

The sunset was beautiful beyond words. The site is pretty well laid out, and all of the stages will be operating as of 10am tomorrow. I got some sweet pics, especially a couple of me with Dons guitars in my pod, will post them all at the end of the fest. I have to go back there now, after 14 hours there yesterday I am surprised how excited I am to get back.

And the beer was not only very good (Big Rock Brewery from Alberta) but was the coldest freshest beer I've had out of a plastic cup in ages........

S