Jambands.ca

favourite white stripes album?

phorbesie

One of my favourite bands ever. Every album sounds different so you can't go wrong with any and all of them: I think they are all 4 or 5 star records.

I love 5 of their 6 studio albums and admire Get Behind Me Satan.

That being said, I think #1 is De Stijl: a folk-blues masterpiece and their best from beginning to end.

#2 Icky Thump

#3 Elephant (their breakthrough contains most of their more rocking anthems)

#4 The White Stripes (raw and uncompromising blues and garage rock)

#5 White Blood Cells (their second biggest album with lots of mid-tempo rockers and at least four or five of their most popular songs)

#6 Get Behind Me Satan (lots of piano, but it does have nice acoustic diversions like the straight bluegrass "Little Ghost" and the Zeppelin I-esque "Instinct Blues").

However, I do flip my list from time to time since I like 'em all for different reasons. Also, Jack plays far more lead on the later albums like Elephant and Icky Thump.

Guest Low Roller

As soon a I read the title of the thread I said to myself "Jaimoe will be all over this one". Sure enough he is the first one to reply. ;)

The White Stripes have got some great albums. In my opinion you can't go wrong with any of them, but best stay clear of 'Get Behind Me Satan' until you can honestly say you're a hardcore fan. Follow Jaimoe's description of the albums and see where you think you best fit in.

Enjoy!

i really like blue orchid and my doorbell, but i can see how people might not like Get Behind Me Satan. its not their most representative album. White Blood Cells and Elephant are both great and easy to get into but i'd suggest buying the first one (The White Stripes) and taking the journey with them/him. some really neat, and different albums over the years. and consider getting the two Raconteurs albums as well.

i really like blue orchid

I just happened to be reading this and thought of this thread. You mentioned "Blue Orchid" ...

http://www.cracked.com/article_16539_8-everyday-words-with-x-rated-origins.html

At some point in history a botanist was looking at what is widely considered to be the most beautiful flower in existence when he noticed that the roots sort of looked like balls.

orchid2.jpg

It's unknown if he held the flower next to his crotch, pointed and laughed, but the observation stuck, and the plant was named for a ball-joke.

The term orchid comes from the Greek, orkhis, which means testicle. This etymology of orchid makes the White Stripes lyrics, "You took a white orchid and turned it blue" make much, more sense.

:D

i really like blue orchid

I just happened to be reading this and thought of this thread. You mentioned "Blue Orchid" ...

This etymology of orchid makes the White Stripes lyrics' date=' "You took a white orchid and turned it blue" make much, more sense.[/quote']

LOL. This is funny. :) I guess Jack is a bit of a botanist. And apparently, I have a thing for balls. :P