Bryson Farms - organic produce

bouche

sweet potato soup = deeeeeleeeeshis.

- 3 sweet potatoes and one red potato

- half inch dice

- coat in melted butter

- roast in 400 degree oven 15 mins

- stir around, put in for another approx 15 mins

- might want to throw some garlic cloves in to roast too!

*in the meantime*

- sautee 2 cups chopped leeks & 2/3 cup chopped celery in a heavy soup pot for 4 minutes or so

- after the potatos are roasted, add to soup pot

- cook a few minutes

- add 6 cups chicken broth

- bring to almost boil then simmer 20 mins

- stick immersion blender in there til it's nice and thick!

EAT!

i also threw in some sprouts since we're overloaded. it was SO tasty. :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a recipe for sweet potato soup that i've used for a few years. always good. going to try yours next time i have the urge for this soup.

Sweet Potato & Roasted Garlic Soup

Ingredients

1 whole head of garlic

1 red onion

1 large sweet potato, peeled

2 tsp olive oil

4 cups chicken / veggie stock

2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or ½ tsp dried)

½ tsp curry powder

½ tsp paprika

salt and pepper

PREHEAT oven to 450º F.

SEPARATE garlic into cloves and remove root end, but do not peel.

Cut onion into ½ inch thick slices.

Cut potato into ¼ inch slices.

Place garlic, onions and potato on baking sheet. Brush with olive oil.

ROAST for 15 minutes, turning once, or until brown.

REMOVE skin from cloves.

In pot, combine garlic, onions and potato with stock, thyme, curry powder and paprika.

Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender.

PURÉE in food processor or blender.

Return to pot; reheat.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 4 servings.

• 2 weeks later...

here's one from jamie oliver:

sautéd jerusalem artichokes with garlic and bay leaves

Jerusalem artichokes are sweet and almost garlicky and mushroomy and gorgeous. Although called artichokes they’re actually tubers – like rough and ready potatoes. You can scrub and roast them whole like mini jacket potatoes and split them open, drizzled with a little chilli oil. You can even use them in a salad with smoky bacon. A Jerusalem artichoke’s best friends are sage, thyme, butter, bacon, bay, cream, breadcrumbs, cheese and anything smoked.

To serve 4, you will need 600g/1lb 6oz of Jerusalem artichokes. Peel them, then cut them into chunks. Place them in an oiled frying pan and fry on a medium heat until golden on both sides, then add a few bay leaves, 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced, a splash of white wine vinegar, some salt and pepper, and place a lid on top. After about 20 to 25 minutes they will have softened up nicely and you can remove the lid and the bay leaves. Continue cooking for a couple of minutes to crisp the artichoke slices up one last time, then serve straight away. Personally, I think they go well with both meat and fish and are particularly good in a plate of antipasti, or in soups or warm salads.

I just responded to the other thread about this. I peeled and sauteed them in butter until there was a little colour, then I finished them in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes.

They were tiny and I think we had like 5 or six of them. Not much of a bounty, but enough to get a taste.

Cut those babies open and they'll reveal a really nice marble pattern. I've baked them, but they are so sweet and tasty that my preferred method is just to par-boil or steam them and put them on a salad. OR (and this is bouche's favorite thing I make)fry up some chorizo and garlic, throw in some bow tie pasta, the steamed beets and "sauce" it up simply with olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.

Cut those babies open and they'll reveal a really nice marble pattern. I've baked them, but they are so sweet and tasty that my preferred method is just to par-boil or steam them and put them on a salad. OR (and this is bouche's favorite thing I make)fry up some chorizo and garlic, throw in some bow tie pasta, the steamed beets and "sauce" it up simply with olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.

the thing that makes this a KILLER dish is the choriza that can be picked up at the boucherie by our house.

i'd love to know where they get it made.

That sounds great. So you guys don't have any problem with them getting all soft and mushy? Maybe you are just using them quicker, but seriously, within two days they turn on me. I used Friday's right away because of that (although I thought I was eating turnip, haha)

They don't keep long so I would recommend you use them tonight or Sunday.

Keep them simple meggo. Peel off the "brown paper" and rinse them in cold water, pat dry. Saute them for about 5 minutes in butter and garlic, season with salt and pepper.

I've seen recipes for fiddlehead pie and all sorts of other stuff, but if I'm only going to eat them once a year, I'm not going to mess with their flavors.

Enjoy!

[color:red]Fiddleheads; now there's a band name for ya.

I snapped up some fiddleheads when I saw them at a market this weekend. They are very nolstalgic for me b/c they remind me of times spent living in New Brunswick, just down stream the Saint John River from Plaster Rock NB, home of the world's largest fiddlehead.

18561817_3bb19f623f.jpg?v=0

Edited by Guest
Any Mac users have tips for posting URLs for images?

18561817_3bb19f623f.jpg

The trick is to make sure that the URL for the image ends in something like ".jpg"; Flickr tends to tack on something like "?v=0" on the end of the URL which renders the image un-embeddable. Take that bit off (as I did), and the image can be embedded.

Aloha,

Brad

• 1 month later...

question about this week's delivery --

we are trying to identify two things.

item #1 - they look like tiny white onions with long green stems

item #2 - they appear to be an herb or cooking green -- they kind of look like mint, and darren says they kind of smell lemony

i haven't been able to find anything on their website to help me. any ideas?