Jambands.ca

Dylan Hamilton review from today's Hamilton Spectator

Palms

i agree with a lot of it... except that "he's the type of performer you half expect to walk off the stage and not return". That part's bullshit, and would never expect that kind of pompous disrespect from Bob Dylan.

However, he did perform a handful of re-arranged classics, which i thoroughly enjoyed! I think the writer summed it up pretty good (for the typical casual fan).

I've never seen Dylan but....

"He's paid to be obscure, inscrutable." is stupid.

"...sang some song called Like A Rolling Stone" is stupid.

"I feared he might have planted spies in the audience." is stupid.

"It's Alright, Mama (I'm Only Bleeding) was another tour de force." I wonder how long the writer was waiting to use that phrase. Too cliche.

Decently written article by what seems to be an unexperienced writer.

How was the show??? Wouldn't mind an opinion from a 'fan.'

I loved last nights show. This is basically the same review we always have after a Dylan show. No interaction with the fans, songs get rearranged blah blah blah. Unfortunately most casual fans want to hear their 3 favourite Dylan songs the way they know them so that they can sing along at all the appropriate parts. Ain't gonna happen.

Those 2nd Row seats were awesome. And if by chance the kid who I had to say "shut up" to "stop talking to me" a number of times reads this. I'm sorry but you were fucking bringing me down with your constant testing of how big a Dylan fan I really was. You almost stole my show from me but we moved you on so I could get my groove back.

Great night as far as I was concerned.

I thought the show was great! I was on the floor at the front, where the crowd stayed standing for the entire show! That alone impressed me.

Most of the arrangements were a bit obscure, but upbeat, interesting, and bluesy... a great band. I really liked the 'Just like a Woman' except for the excessive singalonging by the audience... especially since Dylan was singing in different timing.

I'm not too familiar with the newer material, but all but one or two songs kept my attention. All in all, a great show in typical Dylan style... This being about the 3rd or 4th time I've seen him, it was also my favourite, mainly due to my closeness to the stage.

That was my first time seeing Dylan since 2003 (Darien Lake with the Dead) and I loved it. I am all about the unexpected with Dylan and I loved the new arrangements of songs.

His band is really great right now and I had no problems with the sound where I was sitting (sec 123, 10 rows up), especially where the guitar was concerned. Dylan's keyboard could have been louder in the mix, but that might have been on purpose.

I was sitting next to Lincoln Alexander and he was digging it. He kept saying "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah" and at one point said "sing it Bobby D!" while stomping also his cane.

it was my first time seeing dylan - thought it was a great show...

the only thing that i wasn't that fond of was the drummer... he was a little "splashy" for me – being a drummer myself – i wouldn't even consider the use of a double-kick pedal, but that's just my opinion.

I was sitting next to Lincoln Alexander and he was digging it. He kept saying "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah" and at one point said "sing it Bobby D!" while stomping also his cane.

That's an awesome Hamilton story to have, man...I worked for Boris Brott for a summer and met Linc a few times, he's an awesome dude with a killer sense of humour.

I also liked the show. they did take some time warming up like the review said especially Bobs voice. his harmonica playing was especially good which surprised me! I did not like his band as much as the band he had at rama last year, but my rama experience was killed by the dismal audience which of course was not a problem last night.

I also love that Dylan does all those rearranged songs so you don't have to listen to people singing along.

all in all I had a great show!

linc and bob - two very cool legends.

yeah, this sounds like a typical review by a casual dylan fan. (walking off stage is not something i would ever expect of dylan.) but hey, everyone's experience at a dylan show is a bit different and this guy liked it. and that's what counts.

we sat on the fence and bailed on this show. sounds like it would have been good. :)