Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

Guest Low Roller

Is Marc Denis turning into trade bait?

262881_resize.jpg

Well if you base your decision on his stats so far this season (GAA 1.84, S% .945), and moreso on his last three starts which earned him Player of the Week in the AHL (GAA 0.97, S% .970), I think that the Habs might have a decent bargaining chip on their hands if this trend continues. Denis says that after working with Habs goalie coach Melanson, he's regained his confidence in nets. There are already a couple of teams in the NHL that might be desperate for a proven goalie due to injuries to their starter (Islanders, Devils) or due to a lack of confidence in their rotation (Senators).

The one thing that I am unclear on is if the Habs want to trade Denis, would they have to recall him from the AHL first, and would he be subject to re-entry waivers if he's on a two-way contract?

There is of course the one detail that Booche will certainly remind me of: "He's playing in the f'n AHL. Relax douchebag."

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI - tonight on CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/

Wednesday, November 5 at 9 pm on CBC-TV

OVERBOARD

Last week, the National Transportation Safety Board released its long-awaited report on the death at sea of Laura Gainey. The findings of the report confirm what the fifth estate first documented a year ago. The fifth estate's Gillian Findlay investigated the circumstances of Laura's death off the tall ship Picton Castle and told the story of a ship that had sailed too late in the season, was undermanned and did not follow basic safety rules. Now, Laura's father, Montreal Canadiens great Bob Gainey, responds to the NTSB report's findings in an exclusive television interview on the fifth estate.

Is Marc Denis turning into trade bait?

262881_resize.jpg

Well if you base your decision on his stats so far this season (GAA 1.84, S% .945), and moreso on his last three starts which earned him Player of the Week in the AHL (GAA 0.97, S% .970), I think that the Habs might have a decent bargaining chip on their hands if this trend continues. Denis says that after working with Habs goalie coach Melanson, he's regained his confidence in nets. There are already a couple of teams in the NHL that might be desperate for a proven goalie due to injuries to their starter (Islanders, Devils) or due to a lack of confidence in their rotation (Senators).

The one thing that I am unclear on is if the Habs want to trade Denis, would they have to recall him from the AHL first, and would he be subject to re-entry waivers if he's on a two-way contract?

There is of course the one detail that Booche will certainly remind me of: "He's playing in the f'n AHL. Relax douchebag."

He was never put on waivers, so it would not be re-entry... and, you can trade a guy directly from the AHL to another team... we've done it lots of times in the past...

I was at first thinking Halak was our trde bait, but he is our insurance policy, and you need insurance... Denis is excellent trade bait, and that's why we picked him up me thinks. I think BG would entertain offers on either guy, but the "Price" would be steeper for Halak, than for Denis... based purely on age and future NHL potential...

Guest Low Roller

Shut up crotchface. The other GMs don't know that.

According to Habs inside out Denis did have to clear waivers to get to Hamilton, but I won't argue that point.

I think that the Habs may be developing an interesting business model with Marc Denis as the guinea pig. He's a proven goalie who has fallen on hard times. Thanks to the training that he's getting from Melanson, he is becoming his old self again, if for a limited time. There may be plenty of teams interested in acquiring him at the deadline as an insurance policy if he continues his strong play in Hamilton. If he ends up helping whichever team he goes to, it would lend loads more credibility to the Habs goaltending staff, who can then use that reputation to repeat the same thing next year with another old goalie, hence ensuring a healthy prospect pool by getting picks in return.

According to Habs inside out Denis did have to clear waivers to get to Hamilton, but I won't argue that point.

Seems odd, he didn't make the big team, but had to clear waivers... oh, it has something to do with his age I think, he's 31, and after a certain age, you must clear going up and down...goddam CBA has so many clauses, it's damn hard to know all of the movement rules

I sit corrected & learned~

Low Roller, yes.

That is the possibility. Every team wants to find that *guy* who will get them more than they are worth. Keep in mind every other GM is developing an "interesting business model". A team may desire Denis at the trade deadline but what do you really think a GM would give up for him?

A 4th round pick at best? And that is a HUGE gain for Gainey if it somehow happened. All GM's play that game. That is why they are GM's and we arent.

But you gotta take chances..........

Guest Low Roller

Well given the success that the Habs have with their late round draft picks, even a 4th rounder for Hamilton's goalie sounds like a great deal, well except for the Bulldogs who will get repeatedly fucked just before the playoffs.

Denis was a first round pick, who hasn't worked out for the most part in the NHL... he played on a sub par Columbus, and TB teams, and maintained a SV pct of around .900... not bad... He's no Carey Price, but I should damn well hope he would be worth more than a 4th rounder, especially if he maintains these stats...

Brian Rolston has put up terrible stats for NJ.. but I don't think we would want him... Parise on the other hand (they wouldn't trade him though)

A cool find in the AHL stats though, Drew MacIntyre finished 3rd in Goalie stats in 06-07 in the AHL... he used to back me up the odd time when I played Midget AAA...sure he was 4 years younger, but at least I can bask in "I used to be..." lol

I played against Brad Richards that season too... he was awesome~

Drake went to my highschool...he held the record for the most pressure ever recorded on this grip-type thing we had in Gym class. That was, until this gigantic fat kid from my class (gr 9) came in and squashed it. He was then forever known as the "guy who beat Berehowsky's record."

Drake went to my highschool as well.