Jambands.ca

thanks, and some thoughts...

questcequecest?

mark tonin, thanks for sending me that "dog at the lanc" cd so fast... i went home for lunch today and it was in my box [Embarrassed] it goes well with chili. ...and then i smoked the bowl.

speaking of which, anyone have any good ideas for hearty, keep-me-warm, feed the whole fam, type recipes? our house doesnt really like beans, so we made chickpea, waterchestnut, carrot, mushroom chili. mmm.... water chestnuts, what else can i put 'em in?

and if the kitchener people could tone it down a bit... its hard hearing about all the fun you're having. what, with crazy names like give'rlophogus, and such.

anyone going to rancho relaxo from peterboro/lindsay? id like to go, but dont have a travel partner... oh well, solo missions work out well. maybe stonedfree and newrider will be there. [smile]

Stew is always good. My Mom used to make what she called "Hunter's Stew", which had beef chunks (as opposed to ground beef), tomatoes, and (IIRC) macaroni.

I've always liked Shepherd's Pie, too, made with layers of ground beef, carrots, and mashed potatoes. (Ideally, you make it with the leftovers of Sunday night's dinner: grind up the leftover roast beef, mash the leftover roast potatoes, and shred up the leftover carrots...mmmm....)

Pan Haggardy is also good: it's layers of sliced potators, onions, and cheese, cooked in a frying pan.

http://www.james-barber.com/

http://www.foodtv.com

Aloha,

Brad

wow, so much helpful info, in so little time [smile]

mark, that tired face is supposed to be a surprised/happy face.

zucchini, good one.

shepherds pie, even better.

earthfreak, my plans are looking suspiciously like yours. id like to go friday as well. if your car is questionable, we could pool in mine. whaddayathink? im fun. stonedfree, if this happens, im hoping to see a certain friend of mine [smile]

mir, sausage indeed.

If you're going to make chili, my main tip is to skip using ground beef, and use chunks of beef (e.g., inside round steak, cut up into approx. 1" cubes). Dust it with flavoured (e.g., salt & pepper) flour, and sear it in a pan in maybe a little oil and some onions.

After it's good and brown, add the rest: a large tin of diced tomatoes (drained), some frozen kernel corn, a tin of red kidney beans (drained & rinsed), a tin of black beans (drained & rinsed), and maybe one or two chipotle peppers (they come in a tin, in a smoky tomato sauce; I'd only use two or three peppers). For liquid, maybe add half a can or a can of beer (maybe a good English ale).

(Actually, you can add [or leave out] whatever you want: bell peppers, less/more beans, etc.)

And if you're making chili, the best thing to go with it is corn bread, especially if you add some jalapeno peppers and real corn to it.

To complete the meal, break out a good, bold, red wine, maybe a decent Cabernet Sauvignon.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived