Jambands.ca

How much is to be made off Phish tix....

rubberdinghy

If someone swoops in and buys all the posters and then stands in front of the sold-out poster booth selling the posters at inflated prices...well, I'd think that person was a goonball.

There is a big difference between this and doing what Kev did. People that flip posters right after they are released just to make a profit are pretty much considered scum in poster collecting circles. I don't have a problem with it but a lot of people who take the hobby far more seriously than myself certainly have a problem with it. In a related story, some people really have an inflated sense of entitlement.

Yup! Actually it was more than that. I had forgotten. Take a look here:

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/40

Mine was #41 or #22. I'll have to check my photos at home.

It was for the Great Went Robot print. They figure there are only about 25 of them that survived the weekend with no damage.

The purchaser was a serious Phish poster collector out in Oregon. He had the money and wanted it. A serious bidding war happened when I sold it on eBay.

While it was a nice reminder of the event, it looked more like a $4000 piece of parchment when I discovered it's "fair market value" :)

http://www.phishposterarchive.com/phish-went-stories.htm

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=279.0;attach=86;image

I hope Pollock kept a dozen or so and made himself $60,000!!

we have a bunch of pollocks, some worth a lot, others not so much. when kev bought his robot in '97, i have no doubt he had no idea how much it would come to be worth. nobody did. pollock was just the guy who doodled their tickets and had goofy drawings in the schvice. it wasnt until the fall of '99 that a few people began to realize how much others were willing to pay for pollocks. the real turning point was the release of the three print set for hampton 1/2-3-4/03 when all-out flipping began.

0000.jpg004f.jpg0000.jpg

By this time people would buy with the explicit intention of selling. the number of prints is hugely important, the fewer prints, the more it is coveted and the higher the resale value. this is why kev got $4000 for his robot. and its also the reason why i will always regret not going back after one of the clifford ball night to get this from jim.

00df.jpg

He was making them onsite but wouldn't let me have one before the show because it was still wet and said to come back afterwards. It would have made a nice addition to my collection and potential rainy day fund. Ive continued to collect pollocks and although most are stored in portfolios, a few are framed and hanging.

The resale value of pollocks has dropped significantly since phish disbanded in 04 because of less interest and his new releases of larger runs. no doubt, there will be prints at the Phish shows in March. people will butt in line and there will be fights to get them. it will be brutal. people will realize that depending on the size of the run, you will be able to flip one the next day on ebay for 10 to 25 times what you paid for it.

Sadly, gone are the days when you could actually chat with jim himself and hum and haw over a $10 print. it has become a business now.

It goes with the territory of collectibles. Just think of how the sports card industry went crazy in the 90s. Same thing for comic books (graphic novels).

It's that whole don't-take-it-out-of-the-packaging, don't even look at it collector mentality. Are you collecting for the product or the thrill of the find? Are you buying collectibles to support your own collectibles craze?

One man gathers what another man spills ...

If someone swoops in and buys all the posters and then stands in front of the sold-out poster booth selling the posters at inflated prices...well, I'd think that person was a goonball.

Not attacking Kev at all, just trying to equate the situation to professional scalpers.

Well put.