Jambands.ca

Carleton's student association is really stupid

AD

i see what you're saying boiler man, but that is very literal. Perhaps Socially Correct would be a better term for the terms that actually apply.

ie: Indian. (Socially Incorrect?) The only reason Native North Americans (Socially Correct) are called this is because Columbus thought he had found India.

Yes M.O.B.E, it really does. Maybe my claim rested more in "inexperienced" power tripping. Not that I am saying "experienced" power tripping makes it okay...damn, not sure what I am saying now...funny I am currently witing a paper about government dominence (ie. power tripping) in Nunavut...hmmmmmm

ie: Indian. (Socially Incorrect?) The only reason Native North Americans (Socially Correct) are called this is because Columbus thought he had found India.

How about just "hey, that guy over there with blue jeans on?" To me, that's more socially correct (I do like that term) than either Indian, Native American, disabled, flamboyant, etc.

I disagree. Political Correct ideas are simply that, political. It's all put forward on a basis of discrimination based on whatever political ideas of equality are at the time. Something like, "lets try end discrimination by being discriminatory ourselves." It's time to get over such practices and just "be", you know what I mean?

Yah, i totally know what you mean.

But discrimination implies an intent to apply prejudice to differences, whereas political correctness as an idea was intended to lessen that.

That's why i can't agree with you when you say 'let's end discrimination by being discriminatory ourselves', because that's not what it intended, even though that's what it has become. So, it failed.

Maybe shinerama should spread the love around and change supports yearly or something, just a thought.

My understanding is that this is exactly what those who voted in favor want to do - to support more charities, and particularly to find ways to support some local organizations. They have expressed their desire to continue to work with the CF Foundation, and to have it as one of the rotating yearly organizations that are the beneficiaries of the money raised.

They certainly messed up by voting on the motion as worded though, rather than denying it until a better resolution was drafted and put forward for a vote.

I dunno. You don't just drop support for a charity you've been married to for so long.

If they wanted to expand the umbrella then they should have started an "end-of-year" fund raising event to complement Shinerama.

Dropping support for CF is just plain mean. The reasoning behind it is vile and racist in the extreme.

And regardless of the fact that the words in the motion are one students', the majority supported them by voting for it.