Jambands.ca

The Natasha Richardson Story

Ms.Huxtable

Richardson was reportedly not wearing a helmet when she fell during private lessons with an experienced instructor at the tony Quebec resort.

this is why I always wear a helmet, regardless of whether i'm on a green circle or double black. Falling on the hard packed snow of a groomed run scares me, more than falling on the steeper ungroomed runs

Scary stuff, even more so given that she was apparently showing no signs of injury for a while after the accident.

I've definitely noticed the same shift with skiing/boarding helmets is going on now that we saw with bike helmets starting around 15-20 years ago:

Nobody wearing them > people wearing them and getting made fun of > increasingly common > not unusual > people not wearing them and getting made fun of.

Helmets on ski slopes aren't yet as quite as ubiquitous as bike helmets are, but I would imagine we'll be there within five years.

As a helmet less Biker, Inline skater and Skier...I am jumping the non helmet wearing ship and picking one up. Like everyone is saying...it only takes one tiny spill to change your life forever. Its just not worth it. Besides, for sking anyways, some of the helmets are really warm and you could then go without a winter hat. I find even with good winter hats, my ears get cold so this could be my solution.

Freak By Night: You going to try and get any more runs this year? I am hoping to get out this weekend.

Edited by Guest

Wow, that's really too bad.

It makes me think of last winter when I took my brother snowboarding. He had never been to a ski hill before, I loaned him my helmet and he spent a few hours getting used to the board on a tiny slope. He finally felt ready to take one try at the bunny hill, so down we went. He did pretty good, fell two or three times, but not so bad. One of the falls had his helmeted head crack (and I mean crack) off a patch of ice. He got up, smiled and me and said, "Good thing you loaned me your helmet."

It never really hit me how dramatic of an understatement that was. Certainly if he wasn't wearing the helmet it would have at the very least ended our day, and at worst ended his life. I'm certian it would have been a fairly severe injury anyway, and instead it was just another tiny detail in a fun day at the skihill.

Wear helmets.

As a helmet less Biker, Inline skater and Skier...I am jumping the non helmet wearing ship and picking one up. Like everyone is saying...it only takes one tiny spill to change your life forever. Its just not worth it. Besides, for sking anyways, some of the helmets are really warm and you could then go without a winter hat. I find even with good winter hats, my ears get cold so this could be my solution.

Freak By Night: You going to try and get any more runs this year? I am hoping to get out this weekend.

Do it!!! I got hit by a car 2 days ago biking home from work. I was going pretty fast (it's basically a highway with a bike lane) and some woman turned off without checking the bike lane. I basically went headfirst over the bike, but only ended up with a bruised knee and shoulder and road rash on my hand. Lucky. Did a flip over the bike at pavement level, but had a solid bmx-style helmet on.

At the same time, my workmate just had to leave work early today to prepare friends for turning their friend off life support at the hospital. He got hit head-first by a car on his bike with no helmet. My workmate's husband had bought the guy one a week earlier but he didn't wear it. Father of two. Shitty as hell.

Moral of the story is that helmets save lives!

Edited by Guest