Jambands.ca

Tribute to Neil at Massey Hall - article

DevO

Yeah, couldn't disagree with Giggles buddy more, except to agree that Danny Michel could be said to have stolen the show. I thought his arrangement of Helpless was incredible, though I heard others thought otherwise.

Edited by Guest

Did giggles just pass on 2nd hand review information? Giggles! That's so 2001!

I personally didn't enjoy the MC as he seemed to force the musician participants to answer questions that they weren't expecting. On one hand I can see that being a more interesting manner to do it as you get that live, without-a-net unexpectedness, but in reality it wasn't really working out as a few musicians were understandably hesitant to follow his instructions back to the mic, and Jason Collett was quick enough to escape the stage before mushmusic guy asked him what his most favoritess neil young song was.

speaking of JC, he did some great shit on that stage.

He said most of the performances were quite poor and he was pretty sure he was going to kill whomever the MTV douchbag MC was. He did however give props to the Euclid and he mentioned that he thought Danny Michel stole the show.

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D

while i don't agree with this person that the songs were poor, i was definitely disappointed in quite a few of the songs; i had higher expectations. having anticipated this show for months (and thus months of preparation time for them) i felt that many of the artists did not put much effort into doing anything unique or interesting with the song. danny michel was definitely an exception to that!! i enjoyed bill frisell too. and sarah slean. and the sisters were great, of course! as for the mc, at first i worried i was gonna hate him but i thought he did a pretty good job.

a lot of the acts were before my time or not my style (i am not generally a fan of can-pop or of female vocalists) so i know that factors into my view of the show. it was still a fun evening. i'm looking forward to giving the show a listen again on the CBC!

Keep the absentee reviews coming. Too bad the String Cheese Incident (defunct, defunkt?) couldn't appear.

Everything I've read suggests Michel's was the most adventurous rendition, very ballsy to add his own verse although Helpless as a song is sort of conducive to modified verses. Also read interestingly that whatever that band is called Chocolate Monkey Inc. recruited their cellist from craigslist a couple weeks prior. Also that Frisell was underutilized, cool that Scherr played with him (as on Live from the Village Vanguard and presumably many other occasions). Scherr is such a sick multi-instrumentalist and great guy.

• 2 weeks later...