Jambands.ca

Tribute to Neil at Massey Hall - article

DevO

This is tomorrow! If anyone is going, please do post your thoughts on the night for those of us who can't make it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/neil-young-massey-hall-jan-19-1971/article1173790/

Neil Young at Massey Hall in Toronto, 1971.

On Wednesday night, several talented musicians will take their audience on a journey through the past to celebrate Neil Young's seminal solo concert. Brad Wheeler takes us through the set list

It was noisy at the fair, and all his friends were there. In many ways, Neil Young’s two-show stand at Toronto's Massey Hall on January 19, 1971, was his Sugar Mountain moment – the coming of age for a gloomy singer-songwriter, stepping outside his past associations with Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills and Nash, while moving up from the coffee houses into a much bigger spotlight. The concerts were taped, eventually released as an album in 2007 and now again as part of the just-out Archives Vol. 1: 1963-1972 box set.

Young has accomplished so much since 1971, but his greatest legacies will be his songs. Some of them are to be heard at Wednesday’s Luminato presentation, The Canadian Songbook: A Tribute to Neil Young’s Live at Massey Hall. The concert, held at that building, will mostly run true to the original set list, with material performed by various artists – some of whom elaborate on what they have in mind:

On the Way Home

The Bill Frisell Trio

Originally recorded by Buffalo Springfield (and sung by Richie Furay) on 1968's Last Time Around . It really was the last time around for that band, as documented by Young, who wrote “Now I won't be back till later on / If I do come back at all.†Spryly strummed, and forlorn.

Tell Me Why

Tony Scherr, with Bill Frisell

The opening track to 1970's After the Gold Rush . In 1988, Young told an interviewer that he eventually stopped performing the song because of its nonsensical chorus: “Is it hard to make arrangements with yourself?/ When you're old enough to replay and young enough to sell.†Later he would confess, “You know I don't edit my songs.â€

Old Man

Holly Cole

The “old man†is the foreman of the ranch Young had recently purchased in northern California. Says chanteuse Cole: “The songwriting is so organic, with lyrics that are poetic but also bare, honest and quite vulnerable. The song has a beautiful sense of melancholy, and I'm dying to sing it.â€

Journey Through the Past

Steven Page

A pensive, homesick new song (on piano) written while on tour: “Now I'm going back to Canada, on a journey through the past.†Like Old Man , it's about his ranch, and the woman who was waiting there for him.

Helpless

Danny Michel and the Sisters Euclid

A spare, awesomely beautiful ballad, Helpless gets two renditions, first by singer-songwriter Michel, followed by an instrumental version by slide-guitarist Kevin Breit and the Sisters Euclid. The lyrics, though evocative, won't be missed on the lyric-free version – we know the words so well by now.

Love in Mind

Cowboy Junkies

Like Journey Through the Past , the downcast Love In Mind was issued on Time Fades Away , a live album from 1973. Junkies guitarist Michael Timmins remembers when he first heard it: “For some reason this very slight piano tune hit my 13-year-old psyche very hard, its melody and imagery imbedded in my subconscious for over 35 years. Time to set it free.â€

A Man Needs a Maid

Stevie Jackson (of Belle and Sebastian)

Young at his most chauvinistic, and his most vulnerable: “Afraid, a man feels afraid†is the first chorus, later dropped. Cinematic and grandiose, even in its bare voice-and-piano form.

Heart of Gold

Colin James

In 1971, Young performed A Man Needs aMaid and Heart of Gold as a suite. For the Luminato concert, the latter is done by singer-guitarist James, who attempts to add a touch of “old-school rhythm and blues†to the original country-flavoured radio hit. “As with any song that is so widely known,†James explains, “you have got to forget what you know about it and approach it like you're hearing it for the first time.â€

Cowgirl in the Sand

Kathryn Rose, Emilie-Claire Barlow and Melanie Doane

Chunky-chorded, with three verses for a trio of voices. Says Rose: “We decided that just organ and guitar would be beautiful and would give our voices lots of room, so we broke it down and dug for buried treasure.â€

Don't Let It Bring You Down

Cowboy Junkies

On the Massey album you can hear Young tuning down his guitar to a D-modal tuning, also used for the dark, droning tone of Mr. Soul, Ohio and Cinnamon Girl .

There's a World

Issa (Jane Siberry)

A dramatic, slow-moving piano number, written in Vancouver. A fully orchestrated version appears on 1972's Harvest .

Bad Fog of Loneliness

Roxanne Potvin

A previously unreleased track, with an easygoing melody and a daydreaming lament. Says Potvin: “On the Massey album, Neil talks about writing it especially for a performance on The Johnny Cash Show, to play with Carl Perkins and the Tennessee Three. But the taping got postponed and he ended up playing another tune on the show. My interpretation is inspired by how they might have played it together.â€

The Needle and the Damage Done

Chocolate Genius Inc

Young hit the city (Los Angeles) and lost his band (to heroin). For Luminato, New York's Marc Anthony Thompson of the Chocolate Genius collective performs the harrowing ballad on piano. “I learned it on the guitar, but every time that I came back to Neil's version I realized that it was the definitive version, and that it would be impossible for me to pick up the guitar and play that song without feeling like anything but an imposter.â€

Ohio

Carole Pope

A quick, bold response to the Kent State shootings in 1970. As Jimmy McDonough wrote in his Young biography, Shakey , “In 10 lines, Young captured the fear, frustration and anger felt by the youth across the country and set it to a lumbering D-modal death march that hammered home the dread.â€

See the Sky About to Rain

Jason Collett, with Tony Scherr and Kevin Breit

Another frowning piano number. A reviewer of the 1971 Massey concert said of Young: “He comes on wearing his private rain cloud like a halo.â€

Down by the River

Harry Manx

A soaring death ballad, more familiar in its epic, grungy Crazy Horse form. British Columbia-based folk-blues artist Manx will do it solo. “Neil sang this one in a high range, so I've had to bring it down to a key that I can work with. Unlike Neil I'm playing it on a lap-slide guitar – 1970s Martin I bought off Randy Bachman – in a tuning which I created.â€

Dance, Dance, Dance

Colin Linden

“Everybody make noise,†said a suddenly upbeat Young at Massey Hall in 1971. A clap-happy audience heard a frolicking Young go all smiley and John Denver-like – “Never thought love had a rainbow/ Used to think a cloud was a nightmare.â€

I Am a Child

Sarah Slean

A sweet, simply plucked tune that considers the turnabout of parenthood – “I gave to you, now you give to me†– while still posing juvenile riddles, “What is the colour, when black is burned?â€

Luminato's The Canadian Songbook: A Tribute to Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall takes place Wednesday, 8 p.m, Massey Hall, 178 Victoria St. (416-872-1111).

yummy ... thanks :)

Yeah, I darted home tonight to take Jack to hockey (and see him score a killer goal and play a spirited game). Currently enjoying a great Stanley Cup game on the tube.

Thanks for the beer ... after all the ones I had on Sunday I'm surprised this one is going down so easy :)

Enjoy the show.

I should also note that Sister's Euclid will be the house band for the entire evening backing up those without a band...

SWEET!!!

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D

yes! I got what I thought was a confirmation on the Sisters Euclid being the backing band a couple of months ago, but started to wonder after reading that article if it was still happening.

I think that is my favourite part.

this is going to be legendary. I wonder if Donald sutherland will be there?

Those are especially nice photos. There were no photographers anywhere near the stage.

I think I saw the photographer for those shots. He had the biggest Nikkon lens that I have ever seen. He was at the back with a lens that had the diameter of a small pizza. With lenses like that, you can be anywhere.

I'm really happy that you got some photos. Nice job on the K.Breit pose!

This was recorded by CBC and will be broadcast later this month. I forget the date that they mentioned, so if anyone finds it...please post it.

Here's that finale. Good times.

Well I'm glad to hear some folks liked this...I was headed down with another guitar maker friend of mine who's made Kevin some mando family instruments and Bill Frisell a couple guitars as well; Joe Yanuziello. I ended up having a gig of my own but met up with Joe Thursday and he had very little in the area of good to say about this show.

He said most of the performances were quite poor and he was pretty sure he was going to kill whomever the MTV douchbag MC was. He did however give props to the Euclid and he mentioned that he thought Danny Michel stole the show. But the worst for him was the amount of suits around...the bank sponsors and such of the event...he just said it had an air of grossness...

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D