Jambands.ca

Anybody ever been to Barcelona?

Birdy

I was there for a Day and really enjoyed the "City of Gaudi". He is responsible for a lot of the touristy spots there which lure people because of his naturalistic Architectural principles. I think a must do is his Sagrada Familia cathedral, it is really something to see and learn about. There is a lot of good shops in the gothic district. I sadly only spent a day and wish I had more time there...but I think I will get back there sometime soon.

Enjoy your trip

awesome city. great mix of medieval with the gaudi architecture. possibly my favourite european city that i have visted.

eat at can majo . it was REALLY good.

actually, there is really good food in Barcelona. eat tapas. and be adventurous with what you order!

visit all the gaudi buildings, including la sagrada familia and park guel.

I stayed at the cristal palace. but, work was paying for the room and i got a good deal. ended up with an awesome room with a balcony, marble bathroom...

subways were great way to get around. there's a cool gondola / cable car ride you can take with great views of the city.

I got to see CSN while I was there.

are you just going to Barcelona? I also spent a couple of nights in Girona which is an hour north of Barcelona. But that was to visit some Jewish historic sites.

Yep, just Barcelona - i'm working in London the week before and then taking an extra long weekend there before I fly home.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!! :)

Anyone know if there's a particular area of town that is cooler to stay in than others? Like a historical district or something along those lines? Not sure exactly how the place is layed out but every overhead picture i look at makes it look like a mammoth city and so i want to make sure i'm not stuck out in the Scarborough of Barcelona.

eat tapas. and be adventurous with what you order!

One tapas place I went to (in old Barcelona, if I recall correctly), you didn't order, you just grabbed bits of food off of trays. The trick was that each bit had a toothpick in it; you kept the toothpicks as you ate the food, and when you were done, your bill was based on the number toothpicks you had.

Aloha,

Brad

Anyone know if there's a particular area of town that is cooler to stay in than others? Like a historical district or something along those lines? Not sure exactly how the place is layed out but every overhead picture i look at makes it look like a mammoth city and so i want to make sure i'm not stuck out in the Scarborough of Barcelona.

I stayed in a pension right on La Rambla when I was there. Price was reasonable, and location was perfect; it was easy to get from there to all of the other places we wanted to get to. There is also a beautiful aquarium down by the marina at the end of La Rambla which is worth checking out for an hour or so.

Guest Low Roller

Pickpocketing capital of the world. Be EXTRA vigilant when walking around. I know someone who thought they were safe by putting their wallet in their front pocket; wrong.

Further my Dad was there was he was approached by "police" who asked for his ID. Next thing he knew all his money was gone.

I'm not trying to talk you out of going because it is a wonderful city, but the pickpockets are professionals there, so be careful.