Jambands.ca

Skanks Best of 'O9 Playlist

zero

I've been putting together alot of the better albums from '09 that have been recommended by Skanks and have appeared to overlap on multiple year end lists, these bands include: The xx, Girls, Grizzly Bear, Fruit Bats, Japandroids, St. Vincent, Timber Timbre, Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Built To Spill, Bill Callahan and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I haven't heard anybody talk about Julian Casablancas Phrazes for the Young but I (having never been a Strokes fan) instantly took to it as a late year end contender.

At this point I'm interested in pulling together a playlist with the single best song from these or other artists that people felt had strong albums this year. If you had to pick one track by one band to put on such a collective playlist what would it be?

I'm going with Built To Spill's Hindsight, having seen it live and struck by it's emphatic refrain 'What about Canada?'.

I know there's lots of good stuff from 2009, but it might take me another year to find it for myself.

Swell Season - Strict Joy

Dan Auerbach – Keep It Hid

Cuff The Duke - Way Down Here

Purple Hill – Beechnut St.

Them Crocked Vultures

Monsters of Folk

The Dead Weather – Horehound

Patrick Watson - Wooden Arms

The Avett Brothers – I and I Love You

Magnolia Electric Co. – Josephine

Von Bondies - Love, Hate and Then There's You

M. Ward – Hold Time

The Soundtrack of Our Lives – Communion

Silversun Pickups – Swoon

Bonnie Prince Billy – Beware

Fucking Rights! Now if my ipod didn't just freeze up in me in what seems like it's version of a blue screen of death I'd have something to listen to all this on.

>>That whole Julian Casablancas album is stellar, as is Dirty Projectors, Fruit Bats (of course), Bat For Lashes, Pains of Being Pure at Heart and Handsome Furs. Taking me a while to catch up on '09 but have unearthed some real nuggets.