Jambands.ca

Ottawa Municipal Election Topic

bradm

For completeness' sake, here's info on another candidate who announced his entry into the race a little while ago:

Ottawa mayoral race gets 2nd candidate

The race to become Ottawa's next mayor is now officially a competition. Robert G. Gauthier filed his nomination papers at city hall Wednesday, becoming the second contender for the seat as the head of Ottawa's city council.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...

Mayor O'Brien To Run Again

Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien has confirmed he will seek a second term.

O'Brien disclosed his plans to run for re-election in an interview with A-Channel Wednesday morning around 7:30 a.m. He is scheduled to make an official public announcement at 9:15 a.m.

Municipal elections will be held across Ontario on Oct. 25.

Prior to O'Brien's announcement, 10 candidates were running for Ottawa mayor, including former mayor and Liberal MPP Jim Watson and Bay Ward councillor Alex Cullen.

Aloha,

Brad

Coun. Doucet to run for mayor

Ottawa City Coun. Clive Doucet will run for mayor of Ottawa in the upcoming municipal election. He made the announcement from the Corktown Bridge mid-morning Tuesday.

One week after losing a bitter battle over the redevelopment of Lansdowne Park, Doucet is vowing to take City Hall back from developers.

"I'm not running to be the developers' go-to guy." said Doucet. "I will not run this city behind closed doors. If Ottawa chooses me for mayor, I will throw those doors wide open."

That will mean running without contributions from developers, often the most generous donors to mayoral campaigns.

"I will be raising my money for the campaign just as I have as a city councillor, in small donations from ordinary people. It will not be easy, but no mountain has ever been climbed without taking the first step. Today, I'm taking the first step." Doucet said.

He said he has no illusions about his chances, but he says he's not intimidated either.

"I'm in to win. That's the only reason I'd put myself, my family and my friends through this."

Some are already wondering whether Doucet's entry into the race could split the left-of-centre vote, and benefit Larry O'Brien, who announced last week he's seeking re-election and filed his papers Tuesday.

O'Brien streered clear of the issue: "[Whether you] like him or not, he's always very clear on his positions. He is a hard-working councillor, and he represents his ward well, and I wish him all the best in the upcoming campaign," O'Brien said.

Doucet becomes the 14th candidate to enter an increasingly crowded race.

Besides O'Brien and Doucet, the race includes former mayor and MPP, Jim Watson, and veteran councillor Alex Cullen.

The other 10 candidates are: Cesar Bello, Robin Lawrence, Mike Maguire, Stanley Pioro, Eric Romolok, Sean Ryan, Jane Scharf, Robert Taylor Larter, Charlie Taylor, and Samuel Wright.

Aloha,

Brad

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Former Ottawa-Carleton chair to run for Ottawa mayor

Andrew Haydon, a 77-year-old veteran of the Ottawa political scene, is making an unexpected comeback, entering the race for mayor of Ottawa.

Haydon, the former regional chair of Ottawa-Carleton and Nepean's first mayor, registered as a candidate on Friday, the last day for candidates in the Oct. 25 municipal election to register.

Aloha,

Brad

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone see last night's mayoral debate on Rogers 22? Lordy it was packed with small town entertainment! I thought Jim Watson was going to get up and walk out at one point it was so unprofessional. I highly recommend you catch the next one. Haydon was shades of James Stockdale.

i find this election depressing. i was so hopeful that alex munter was going to be our next mayor in 2006. then larry no-brain came along and the idiots of ottawa believed his no tax increase lies. and now they are ready to support watson, who isn't really offering anything that exciting. the only consolation is that he has to be better than no-brain.