Jambands.ca

This is where TV's are headed?

bouche

What cant sport provide?

This year, ESPN will launch the first 3D television network. ESPN 3D will showcase a minimum of 85 live sporting events during its first year, beginning with the first 2010 FIFA World Cup match on June 11 between South Africa and Mexico.

More on what you can expect to see in 3D after the jump.

In addition to the World Cup opener, ESPN will produce up to 25 total World Cup matches, as well as the Summer X Games, college basketball, and college football, including the BCS National Championship game in Glendale, Ariz., January 10, 2011.

ESPN has been testing ESPN 3D for more than two years, and produced USC's 18-15 win over Ohio State in 3D for select theaters back in September. This network launch will certainly drive the early adoption of 3D TV sets, while combining "great content with new technology to enhance the fan's viewing experience," according to ESPN President, George Bodenheimer.

That's pretty awesome. I think Katzenberg is wrong about it possibly reducing piracy. If it's digital code, somebody will figure out how to pirate it.

I think he meant in terms of the massive file size of a 3D movie making it prohibitive to transfer over peer to peer networks. That's assuming bandwidth availability doesn't keep up at the same pace.

What cant sport provide?
This year, ESPN will launch the first 3D television network. ESPN 3D will showcase a minimum of 85 live sporting events during its first year, beginning with the first 2010 FIFA World Cup match on June 11 between South Africa and Mexico.

More on what you can expect to see in 3D after the jump.

In addition to the World Cup opener, ESPN will produce up to 25 total World Cup matches, as well as the Summer X Games, college basketball, and college football, including the BCS National Championship game in Glendale, Ariz., January 10, 2011.

ESPN has been testing ESPN 3D for more than two years, and produced USC's 18-15 win over Ohio State in 3D for select theaters back in September. This network launch will certainly drive the early adoption of 3D TV sets, while combining "great content with new technology to enhance the fan's viewing experience," according to ESPN President, George Bodenheimer.

Glad to hear that live sports will be available in 3D. I had previously heard that live broadcasts in 3D would not be possible. I do have one question though, are 3D glasses still required?

I heard glasses are still required for home veiwing.

From

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/164200,3d-tv-buzz-at-ces-2010-just-another-gimmick-or-should-you-hang-onto-those-avatar-glasses.aspx

Yes, you'll need to wear the glasses

Sony-3D-glasses.jpg

We're yet to see any major brand at CES pushing a 3D TV that doesn't require them. In most cases these aren't the basic Ray Ban style you might have worn to watch Avatar. In many cases they'll actually require power. For example, Sony's 3D TVs use a "frame sequential" display method, which involves active-shutter glasses that turn on and off in sync with the images. Some TVS come with the glasses and have the transmitter built in, but again, in some cases you'll need to buy the transmitter and glasses separately.

Aloha,

Brad

As cool as this sounds, I don't watch enough television to justify spending money on stuff like that. I'm quite happy with my 21" SDTV.

As for piracy, I agree with boiler rat I doubt file size will make much difference, especially when you consider that folks are downloading HDtv shows exceeding 16GB. Hell, in one of the torrent groups I belong to someone passed along a video torrent file to a 2008 NIN show in Portland recorded in HDV2 (I believe it's called) that totals over 167GB.

If folks are willing to download files like that I don't imagine it'll stop anyone downloading the 3D-HDTV shows, if they can.