Jambands.ca

Exposure

boiler

:surprise:

Thanks Bruce Power.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/767541--workers-face-long-wait-for-results-of-radioactive-exposure

I`m a tough fucker and can put up with a lot of corporate bull shit but I`ve about had it. The numbers that are being made public for possible exposures are imo, being greatly under estimated. I`m fucking mad. I have the whole code of conduct thing I signed, so I don`t want to talk a whole lot about it, but I`m quitting very soon and then they can go fuck themselves.

That project is set up to fail. They brought the same American that got run out of Pickering for fucking that place up during, it`s last restart, to run that project at the Bruce. He has it even more fucked up than he did there. Mark my words, it was union busting since day one. Man I could go on and on, and some day I might, but not now.

Bruce Power has failed us in a big way.

I`ve always lived with the philosophy that wheather or not I agreed or disagreed with the Nuclear Industry, especially rebuilds, that they needed people like me there that would work hard and be responsible. I feel a real responsibilty to the public when I go to work to make sure the job gets done right. Well let me tell you these guys don`t give a fuck about me or what I think. It`s all about the money.

Edited by Guest

My Dad worked in the uranium mine in Port Radium, NWT when he was young. He died of myelodysplasic leukemia five years ago, brought about by exposure to radiation fifty years earlier. A couple of federal studies that I located indicated that many of the workers there subsequently died of the same radiation-related blood cancers. And many local residents, who didn't even work in the mines, have also died of radiation-related cancers. It's crazy shit.

We wear dosimetry, but not for the type of radiation that people were exposed to. In the news releases that have been coming out, they claim the dose rate aren`t enough to cause radiation poison, which would be an immediate effect. Gamma radiation passes through you and they can easily determine what dose rates they assign to you. Alpha radiation does not have the power to penetrate a piece of paper. However if it is ingested or breathed in, it stays in your body and attaches itself to your organs or just bounces around in you like a pinball. It has a 50 year biological half life. Which means the long term effects are far more dangerous than the immediate effects, imo. Bruce Power did not set their radiation protection procedures up to adequately protect against alpha, meaning respitory protection was often not required. It should have been. They are doing the same work in New Brunswick and at no time there were workers allowed to enter the vault without respitory protection. Bruce Power did not have the same requirements.

Edited by Guest

I still work there...right now. Tomorrow may be another story. I put most of my eggs into the Bruce Power basket so I'm very worried right now about the decisions I have to make. Being a whistle blower is not an option right now. I've already said more than I wanted to.

Done deal. They wouldn't lay me off though, I had to quit. Just one last show of appreciation and graciousness.

Here's a little info on Radiation and how it affects you.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/02/18/f-radiation-sickness-symptoms.html

You never know who to believe sometimes. It's hard to get to the middle ground, which is pretty much where you would need to be to get the real truth. Time will only tell what the outcome of all this will be.

On a side note, I learned about this little baby today, The Bloom Box. A fuel cell that can power your home, sans hydrogen. Pretty neat. Perhaps steam generated electricity is going to be a thing of the past and these nukes won't be needed. Not likely in this lifetime but maybe.

I don't know, they're building nuclear plants all over the damn place, something like 100 planned for China alone. India will likely build a bunch, Romania, USA, France, Canada. They don't sink the billions upon billions of $$$$$ into these places to allow upstart technologies usurp them within five years of operation. There is a whole world wide sub economy developing around nuclear power. It's fucking scary.

My Dad worked in the uranium mine in Port Radium, NWT when he was young. He died of myelodysplasic leukemia five years ago, brought about by exposure to radiation fifty years earlier. A couple of federal studies that I located indicated that many of the workers there subsequently died of the same radiation-related blood cancers. And many local residents, who didn't even work in the mines, have also died of radiation-related cancers. It's crazy shit.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's cancer ordeal. Can you get said Federal Studies into my hands or email by any chance?

I have my fingers crossed in hopes you still have 'em.

Not that I personally doubt the connection, but I had always thought the 'official line' about Port Radium NWT was: insufficient data to discern a link between the mine work and the cancers?

Just in case anybody here is interested in understanding why the Canadian Government at all levels denies the health risks connected to Nuclear Energy, consider this!

Edited by Guest

• 9 months later...