PassedOutGuy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You tell me.

In the know?

Or music elitism?

I was a big Phish fan growing up and went to lots of shows. We actually got to meet Trey at one of the Madison Square Garden shows last fall. The first few songs I was really taken back, and then the new songs I couldn’t get into as much. That long song “Time Turns Elasticâ€â€”that was awful…

Badams, asked and answered variously and multiply. Put it this way, what do you in your spare time (I have two part time jobs running a drop-in mental health kitchen and as a glorified sous chef)? In my spare time, for instance this evening I have to work a charity fundraising auction but I've been 'working' since 9:00 on transcribing interviews, doing background research, listening to unreleased material, random political trainspotting via CNN etc. I do this because ultimately I'd like to do alot of things but I'd like to get paid well to write high calibre music journalism in major markets or outlets. In the meantime I do alot of let's say pro bono stuff, promoting Jay Cleary's shows, or using jambands.ca as an outlet to get the word out about noteworthy shows, bands, releases, to build or rebuild my portfolio. Trust me when I tell you that there are alot of grateful musicians who are glad that I spend as much time thinking about and putting as much effort into reviewing their releases as they do producing them. Call it social capital. That's why NorthernWish and a handful of us should throw our own festival (not sketchfest) to call in alot of that social capital many of us have accrued including Bouche, NorthernWish, myself. But that's another point.

Again I'm not even talking about the release Shame Shame (which as I've said I'd suspect is quite good). I literally don't have the time to get around to it yet. Just as I don't have the time to get around to piecing together what the Low Anthem played the other night or how they played. You want to know what I think of The Low Anthem? Besides being incredibly moved by their music and voices, knowing only the instrumentation and setup of the members on stage not to mention the by all acounts stunning venue - what else can I say? I have to do some research, but first I have to finish this Bonfire Ball Revue article w. interviews with Jason Collett, Afie Jurvanen (Bahamas), Carlin Nicholson (Zeus), Dave Azzolini (The Golden Dogs), then finish some stuff on the Barr Bros., then see the Barr Bros. again, then interview them again, and Mike O'Brien from Zeus oddly, then transcribe all those interviews, then interview Dave Azzolini about his new release Coat of Arms which Zeus produced and played on, then maybe get to The Low Anthem thing then maybe bother listening to Shame Shame but I'd bet you dollars for donuts I'll be listening to Black Milk and Guilty Simpson instead.

[color:brown]Alcohol

The downside of being drunker than everyone else is that people tend to presume you’re a fool

Put it this way, what do you in your spare time (I have two part time jobs running a drop-in mental health kitchen and as a glorified sous chef)?

I've done my share of working 7/12s for 6 months on the blast furnaces, hydro plants & high tension towers, for near 20 years. I've done my volunteer work at the Juravinski Cancer Centre after being treated for intra-spinal ependymomas, had the spinal surgeries and went through the recovery thearpies and back to work, until my father passed away while working in the USA. I gave up my place to come help my mother while she had to keep working, and helped look after her 88 year old mother who was suffering from alzheimers & dementia. My meger disability pension got split up for helping cover the rent and other bills.

Everyone's got a story. That's life, get over yourself already.

So to answer your question, in my spare time, I do whatever the fuck I want & can afford.

Well this is toxic as shit. Let's call a spade a spade which is a racial epithet I think. I actually respect where Esau's coming from he makes some really great points. NewRider's a hopeless drunk who wants to blame everyone else for his fucking problems (period)- I should know I've done the same. I think my point before this spun out was that I dug the opener, was sober, didn't think much more of Dr. Dog after that. Again that happens. As far as I know none of you are trying to forge a career for yourself in the field of music journalism. Indeed all but a very slim few of you have ever tried writing an article or show review - it's alot harder than you think to not come off sounding like 'then they played this song' or 'they're a really great alt.country band' but please have at it. Submit your Dr. Dog show reviews here.

You think I come off like a fucking ass? Seriously - while we're 'keeping it real' - I have done many questionable things while high or in the throes of mania (being 'friends' with a number of you for instance) but I've worked myself out of a pretty substantial hole. I'm guessing most of you wouldn't last (Esau's a noteworthy exception here too) a day let alone 3 months in the Don Jail, being beaten by inmates, guards and captains until the swelling and bruising on my brain caused me to lose consciousness and have one of many seizures (I have no history of seizures), I found a place to live (in a subsidized apartment yes thank you, I also just worked a charity auction that pulled in $50K tonight for the same organization that employs me and houses me), a job, began rebuilding a career.

But while we're on the topic of scamming the government NewRider I'm guessing you're gonna be paying back all those student loans with you're fabulous career what from all those classes you attend.

Oh and while we're on the topic of thiefs- I want my girlfriends Ipod dock back NewRider - if it doesn't come back soon (that's if you haven't sold it for drugs which seems likely). If I don't get it back, and you know what even if I do, let's just say don't come within 20 metres of me.

Yeah I was the Volunteer Coordinator, you know the douchebag sponging off the gov't. I had a nice chat with Andrea Chase from CFTO (who's sister also lives in a Houselink property) and Carol Tenenbaum (one of Toronto's biggest art benefactors) whose sister is the Executive Director- we agree with you it is an important organization doing important work.