Jambands.ca

Sappyfest 2010

dave-O

I never even noticed that Steamboat was playing (hands down the BEST LIVE BAND IN CANADA - those guys led by the songwriting chops of MattMcClaren and the keyboard wizardry of Chris Sandes (Andre Ethier). I've seen them play 3 and at NXNE up to 5 sets of original music barring say one muppets cover and one disco cover. Just ridiculously large complex, joyous arrangements inspired seemingly by Dr. John, Allain Toussaint but I know specifically the band members acknoledge a debt to the obscure High Town Records set.

Steamboat is retarded, pardon the expression.

They led the allstar soul review late night at George's to close things out. I'll try to post some of the guests and covers as I reassemble my brain, but I don't think there's a song they don't know. Vish Khanna doing Gold Digger (kanye)?!

I can't see the video, but that's awesome.

So I realize I'm talking to myself here, but this was the best festival ever.

Sunday was wall-to-wall greatness... Daniel, Fred & Julie in the church, By Divine Right at Dooly's, 100 Dollars followed by Rick White (backed by 100 Dollars) psychedelic country, THE SADIES, Sloan (Twice Removed + Smother encore with Rick/Julie on vocals), Steamboat Allstar jam at George's.

So I realize I'm talking to myself here, but this was the best festival ever.

It burns.

Consider this my feeble attempt at making an excuse for why I wasn't there; we rented our house out this summer and our first renter moved out Saturday morning with a new renter showing up Sunday morning. I spent all day cleaning bathrooms and doing laundry. Sucks to be me.

I hope for your sake its Erics Trip and not Sloan. Those guys are phoning it in these days....

Well they phoned in their Ottawa show. Not enough of their hometown hipster tribe to get them to give a shit in Upper Canada I suppose.....

Glad to hear it was so wicked!

I saw Graham and Melissa at Osheaga and was sort of surprised they left NB when Sappy was happening.