Jambands.ca

Sappyfest 2010

dave-O

I don't have a link/source, but this press release was just sent my way...

---

Celebrating its fifth anniversary, SappyFest announces The Sadies, The Felice Brothers, Holy Fuck, Chad Van Gaalen and Jim Guthrie as the first five acts confirmed for its 2010 line-up. The festival is offering 200 early bird passes for $50.

SappyFest is a little independent music festival produced annually in partnership with the Ok.Quoi?! Arts Festival, Struts Gallery & Faucet Media Arts Centre. The festival takes place July 30 - August 1, 2010, in Sackville, New Brunswick.

Among the festival's first five confirmed acts is legendary Canadian psych-country band, The Sadies. The group's highly anticipated new album, Darker Circles (Outside Music), will be released on May 18. Coming to SappyFest via the Catskill Mountains is The Felice Brothers. The Team Love recording artists recently released the acclaimed, Yonder Stands the Clock, which the BBC heralded as the 2009 Country Album of the Year. Toronto's Holy Fuck will be performing at the festival in support of their forthcoming new album, Latin (XL). The group's previous effort, LP (XL), was nominated for Polaris Prize. Also a former Polaris nominee, Chad Van Gaalen will be returning to perform at this year's SappyFest. The Flemish Eye/Sub Pop recording artist's last release, Soft Airplane, was called "an intimate, intelligent, and always transporting cycle of songs..." by Pitchfork Media. The final confirmed act is acclaimed singer/songwriter and former Royal City member, Jim Guthrie. Guthrie released his Juno nominated solo album, Now More Than Ever (Ba Da Bing Records) in 2003. Since then, he has dedicated much of his time performing with renowned acts Human Highway and Islands.

SappyFest will release more details on the 2010 festival within the coming weeks.

SappyFest early bird passes are available at all Ticketpro outlets. To purchase tickets online, visit: http://ww3.ticketpro.ca/pos.php

Does Chad play anywhere other than Sappy with any regularity?

Certainly not east of Toronto, he doesn't. Amazing to think back to the first year of Sappy, CVG headlined the BBQ in the parking lot at Strut's gallery!

I played with Julie Fader last year...a truly unique experience out there. Mind you I wasn't on the phish train last summer but it was hands down my best weekend of 2009. In addition to the main stage there were late night bands playing at Doolys (where BA crowd surfed in an inflatable raft), a sweet church and a single screen movie theater.

Hope to be there again!

• 2 weeks later...

http://sappyfest.com/SappyFest_09/lineup.html

$100

Apollo Ghosts

Attack in Black

BA Johnston

Baby Eagle

Baird Brothers

Braids

By Divine Right

Contrived

Cat Pontoon

Chad VanGaalen

Daniel, Fred & Julie

Diamond Rings

Dog Day

Etaoin Shrdlu

Felice Brothers

Heavy Blinkers

Holy Fuck

Jim Guthrie

Julie Doiron

Katie Moore

Lullabye Arkestra

Mecca Normal

Metz

Michelle McAdorey

Old Man Luedecke

P.S. I Love You

The Reveries

Richard Laviolette & The Oil Spills

Rockets Red Glare

The Sadies

Shapes & Sizes

Shotgun Jimmie

Skeletones Four

Snailhouse

Steamboat

The Silt

+ Many more...

• 2 months later...

T-minus 4 days. Anybody else going? Some great looking stuff on the schedule, including roller derby, wrasslin' and HolyFuck on Friday night.

Rumours are Sloan will be the surprise Sunday night headliner, but I'd put my money on Eric's Trip as they are conspicuously absent on the schedule this year.

http://sappyfest.com/SappyFest_09/schedule.html

After many years I've come to the conclusion that I just plain don't like Eric's Trip.

Really looking forward to a couple under the radar bands... PS I Love You, Apollo Ghosts, Steamboat. And sounds like there might be a stealth We Are Action set happening.

Did I mention roller derby and wrassling tonight?! Now that's a rock show.

Steamboat with horns!!! Killed it.

Felice Bros were great, but whoever was doing FOH should be taken out back and shot.

Julie played probably the most rocking Julie set I've ever seen, Will from the Constantines on drums.

Roller Derby/Wrestling/Holy Fuck... brilliant idea, not great execution... felt like a lot of dead air and HF didn't start until super late.

Attack in Black were great too.

Seriously GO AND SEE THIS - the Felice Brothers are phenomenal live and I would imagine they are going to be with us for many many years. At their young age they show more promise and talent than most any other band I can think of even Zeus who are about their age and no slouches on their instrumenbts (admittedly Zeus has better engineering and production chops).