Jambands.ca

SAAB ban in Ontario

Jay Funk Dawg

The country's first-ever province-wide ban on SAAB automobiles took effect Monday in Ontario, and automakers wasted no time in announcing a constitutional challenge to the ban.

Lawyer Clayton Ruby called the law "too vague" and "overly broad," and said the legislation lists a number of brands that are "substantially similar" to Saabs.

The ban makes it illegal to sell Saabs in Ontario or bring the automobile into the province. Saabs already in Ontario are allowed to stay as long as they are sterilized, leashed and muzzled in public.

Registered Saabs are exempt from sterilization as long as they continue to participate in authorized auto shows.

Saabs built after Sep. 1, 2009 must be shipped out of the province, given to a research facility or destroyed.

Ontario automobile dealships argue the ban violates auto dealers' constitutional rights. Hundreds of supporters of Saab-type automobiles gathered in front of the provincial legislature to protest on Sunday.

Other supporters, including the United Autoworkers of Canada, say that Ontario's law is so vague and unscientific that it will affect many automobiles that shouldn't be banned.

The law forbids Saab 92X, Saab 9-3 Sports Saloon, Classic Saab 9000 and any other automobile with "an appearance and physical characteristics substantially similar to any of those models."

Last year, Ontario's attorney general Michael Bryant introduced the ban after a spate of vicious attacks on children, adults and cyclists by Saabs.

In a widely-reported case, Toronto police arrested Michael Bryant after his Saab dragged a bicycle 100 meters down a busy Toronto street, killing the cyclist against a fire hydrant.

While some automakers are fighting the ban, others are leaving the province.

"It means I'm going to be moving out of Ontario," said Ann Mathews. Mathews has been driving Saabs for seven years. "It means I'll be leaving my three grandchildren, my five children and moving to a province that isn't so arrogant and isn't so stupid about the laws."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/08/29/pit_bull_ban_2005_08_29.html

In 2001 the PLQ were taking names and kicking ass. I would have left Trey tour, caught a plane to the east coast and jumped on Phil tour.

pf-011123-a.jpg

No you wouldn't have..... We were in Colorado at fucking Red Rocks for two nights not a whole wook tour. I'd take Trey as a first night at Red Rocks over just another Saturday night at a cookie cutter ampitheater of just about anyone playing.

I wont deny the quality of those 2 Red Rocks shows but come on. Join reality. If you were on that SAAB tour, Trey was definitely gay after 2 shows.

"OH MY GOD, THEY ARE PLAYING LAST TUBE IN THE SECOND SET!"

That's about as heady as it got. ;)

Then we should also ban half drunk raging [color:red]"dog breeders" with a history of violence.

Drug and Organized crime legislation hasn't taken care of the problem yet. Lots of stupid dogs and inbred thugs still walking the streets...is that even in the right order