Jambands.ca

Let's talk NXNE

DevO

Hey y'all,

Toronto is the place to be this week/weekend with the NXNE festival bringing us a gazillion great shows. For those of us who aren't getting passes, what is the deal with getting into individual shows? Can you get to a show without a NXNE pass? I want to go to this:

l_7aa580dd3d3e4092b7034fac097e0222.jpg

And also might try to get in to the Dakota for some of Dave Myles' show.

(ps - changed the thread title to open it up)

Edited by Guest

These shows tend to be 10-15 bucks if you don't have a pass. If it's busy inside sometimes they'll hold non-passholders for a while and then eventually let you in.

We (Huron) were lucky to be asked to play the Horseshoe on the Saturday night with Attack in Black, Bruce Peninsula, Hannah Georgas and Library Voices. The whole thing is gonna be broadcast live-to-air on CBC 3. We're on at 1am for anybody who's gonna be near a computer and up late!

Yonge-Dundas Square is hosting the following FREE NXNE concerts:

Thursday June 17

•10:00 pm – X

•9:00 pm – Mudhoney

•8:00 pm – Brant Bjork & the Bros

•7:00 pm – The Icarus Line

•6:00 pm – Free Energy

Friday June 18

•9:30 pm – Sloan

•8:30 pm – k-os

•7:30 pm – Said the Whale

Saturday June 19

•9:30 pm – Iggy and the Stooges

•8:00 pm – The Raveonettes

•7:00 pm – Wavves

•6:00 pm – Surfer Blood

•5:00 pm – DD/MM/YYYY

•4:00 pm – The Soft Pack

•3:00 pm – Mini Mansions

•2:00 pm – De Staat

•1:00 pm – Queen Kwong

•12:00 pm – the Burning Boyz

Sunday June 20

•9:00 pm – De La Soul

•8:00 pm – Kid Sister

•7:00 pm – Phenomenal Handclap Band

•6:00 pm – Big Freedia

•5:00 pm – Chin Injeti

•4:00 pm – Spookey Ruben

I'm thinking about getting a 1 day pass for this Friday, as all the shows are adding up. I don't have the schedule in front of me now(*), but here's what I remember caught my eye:

- Kelp records BBQ

- Dark Mean at Sneaky Dee's

- Dave Myles, Old Man Luedecke (sp) at the Dakota

- Golden Dogs, White Cowbell Oklahoma, Rich Aucoin, etc at El Mocambo

Thursday night looks packed full of good stuff - wish I wasn't working on Friday! Saturday is the Toront Island show - will have to see if I have any energy left once I get back to the mainland that night. If I can swing it though, Horseshoe it is!

* NXNE and NOW magazine's online listings for NXNE are hard to follow. This week's print edition of NOW, however, makes it a bit easier to map out what is happening where.

We (Huron) were lucky to be asked to play the Horseshoe on the Saturday night with Attack in Black, Bruce Peninsula, Hannah Georgas and Library Voices.

Holy awesome bill, Aaron. You gonna bring Huron out east at any point?

I'm working the MMVAs on Saturday and Sunday, during the day. After my Saturday shift, which will include monitoring soundchecks by some of the world's worst acts such as Justin Bieber, Adam Lambert, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Drake, Hedley and Miley Cyrus, I'll be staggering up Yonge Street to have my soul cleansed by Iggy & The Stooges.

I went to see The Africa Trilogy (a play, part of Luminato) and saw no music!

Still not sure what my game plan is for today, but I'm leaning towards spending the whole night at the El Mocambo. Not sure if I'll make it down to the hostel for the Kelp BBQ - looks like I'll be putting in a full day at work! :crazy:

Five Things I Love About NXNE

1. Zeus

2. Getting to see KevO

3. Freely being able to walk backstage and tell off a dude from Universal Music.

4. That dude from Universal Music NOT punching me in the face.

5. Chris Murphy walking into me and spilling my beer and me calling him a "turbo douche" for not saying he's sorry.