Jambands.ca

Couple Recent Pedal Builds

Tooly

the first one is my first digital delay build, works great!!! its a Ping-Pong, so you can dial in 2 diff. delay times, or the toggle switches the 2 chips in series and doubles the delay time with single repts, not double. circuit is built to sound warm and analog IE every rept gets a little "darker" or "warmer", this thing sounds killer!! i dont know why i was scared of a delay pedal build for so long, this one was tricky but not the worst ive done. finish didnt turn out that good, it was a rush spray paint job, but it works for now.

2nd is an all-germanium Tonebender Mk. II. a great fuzz, ive never been a fuzz guy but the last few that ive built have me convinced!! This is the same fuzz jimmy page used on the earlier stuff, and there are a ton of zep tones in this box, within minutes i found the dazed n confused solo, communication breakdown, the ocean, its a great pedal for sure!!! and for teh price some builders want for a tonebender clone (hundreds of $$ plus a few month waiting list) i am so happy i can just slap one together in the basement!!

both circuit boards came from BYOC months ago, they make great boards, thats for sure.

stufftosell008.jpg

stufftosell007.jpg

stufftosell009.jpg

stufftosell001.jpg

stufftosell005.jpg

spent about a half hour sorting thru 20-30 different transistors until i settled on those 3 metal cans, thats the tough part, finding new old stuff like that.

thanks for looking!!

http://axeandyoushallreceive.com/store/page2.html

this is the page where you can buy the prebuilt painted by ME pedals from BYOC, or just the kits is

www.axeandyoushallreceive.com

Scott is a fantastic guy to deal with, tell him you know me and maybe he will fix u up? i paint alot of boxes for him and byoc, worth a shot anyways. he is out in brantford or will ship to you.

cheers

http://axeandyoushallreceive.com/store/page2.html

this is the page where you can buy the prebuilt painted by ME pedals from BYOC, or just the kits is

www.axeandyoushallreceive.com

Scott is a fantastic guy to deal with, tell him you know me and maybe he will fix u up? i paint alot of boxes for him and byoc, worth a shot anyways. he is out in brantford or will ship to you.

cheers

Cool. I just hooked up with Scott last week to start stocking the boutique pedal lines he deals and the BYOC kits. Found him by accident when I went to order a BYOC Flanger from buildyourownclone.com and found out they don't ship to Canada. Looking forward to it. Nice work by the way. Looks like you're having fun!

What makes byoc's better?

Some people prefer the PCBs, some people think the parts are superior (though I've read they're not tested/matched as per $$$high end builders$$$), and some people like the mods available.

General Guitar Gadgets has some great kit offerings, but BYOC has a few things that set it apart...or so I understand.

It's only as good as the guy working the soldering iron after all.

its alot of things, the boardsa are laid out nicer than GGG, plated thru holes, nicer parts, nicer jacks. better custy service, better support on non-working builds etc etc etc.

but it all does boil down to the guy whos assembling it all.

ive been getting almost alll my boards lately from my buddy Barry at guitarpcb.com he has got a TON of boards to choose from but they arent as friendly as the byoc boards, thats for sure, they are for the intermediate or higher builder id say, just because the layouts are tight, and there is some real tight spacing on them. however they work flawlessly,and the price is right, and barry is a great guy to deal with, every weekend he has some crazy sale going on like spend 15 bucks and get a free board or something

its alot of things, the boardsa are laid out nicer than GGG, plated thru holes, nicer parts, nicer jacks. better custy service, better support on non-working builds etc etc etc.

but it all does boil down to the guy whos assembling it all.

ive been getting almost alll my boards lately from my buddy Barry at guitarpcb.com he has got a TON of boards to choose from but they arent as friendly as the byoc boards, thats for sure, they are for the intermediate or higher builder id say, just because the layouts are tight, and there is some real tight spacing on them. however they work flawlessly,and the price is right, and barry is a great guy to deal with, every weekend he has some crazy sale going on like spend 15 bucks and get a free board or something

I'm not trying to start a fight, but the GGG boards I have built are plated through, The parts as far as I can tell are the exact same parts and jacks. Not only that but they are about 35$ cheaper for whole kits. thats the main reason I buy them. never need customer service so I can't comment on that.

I might try a byoc build. or look into the guy you just told me about!

Currently I am building a Fuzz Factor Clone and am doing the pcb myself at home. should be fun.

What makes byoc's better?

Some people prefer the PCBs' date=' some people think the parts are superior (though I've read they're not tested/matched as per $$$high end builders$$$), and some people like the mods available.

General Guitar Gadgets has some great kit offerings, but BYOC has a few things that set it apart...or so I understand.

It's only as good as the guy working the soldering iron after all. [/quote']

as far as I can tell the only thing that sets them apart, is that some of there kits are heavily moded and they cost alot more.

Wow you are really doing some nice work!

is your guitar set up now almost completely custom?

I'm almost running entirely on BOSS pedals - my first set of pedals burned to the ground in VW fire... I had a mix of DOD, Boss, Ibanez pedals then...

any advice to getting a sweet JJ Cale tone?

Jay- was that your sweet suitcase pedal board that got destroyed? I loved that thing.

jon, ive never built a ggg kit so i cant really say whats better and what it all boils down to is are all the bits there? and is it gonna work? ive seen some pics of ggg builds a while back and ive thought their pcbs looked shitty but i just looked now and they look just about the same as byocs quality. and its nice that they sell pcbs only, byoc stopped doing that as they are reworking all the kits. i think they just started doing the 808 again, now thats a great little pcb. ive still got a ministack of them. that one of the next pedals for me, a dual OD.

the byoc kits are great though, they offer sweet circuits with most of the mods already there or easy to do. ive never been disappointed and ive built at least 1 of just about every one of them except for the newest few