Jambands.ca

Looking Gig April 15th for Wassabi Collective

Jay Funk Dawg

It's funny... it really depends on the city for what the cover is. Smaller town folk just won't pay big cover for bars. That's just the way it is. Some towns have no cover, but the bands still get paid... which kind of spoils it for the bands that do need to charge cover. It's weird. In that case, it comes down to perception. If you're just playing in a bar, then that's way people treat it. Perhaps if you wanna get a bigger cover out of people, change their perception of you. Do the show in hall and make it more of an event. The same kind of way you trick fans into coming to a show early. People would never go to a bar at 7pm for a gig, but put that show in the proper room, and they do.

Come out next Tuesday to the Dakota Jay... our last one. Although, I'm pretty sure Karate Man was by Matt Murphy and the Superfriendz, but Pete was in the band for a few tours. And, in all seriousness, that song I posted was written and recorded almost completely in a limo - so I have faith in it.

Elkas Band, Pinecones and Wayne Petti tonight at the Starlight. Five bucks!

If you're feeling the pinch on tour, rather than opting to squeeze extra cash out of your audience to make ends meet, maybe you should write better songs and promote yourself more so you're not in that situation in the first place.

i love that advice. WRITE BETTER SONGS.

However, the world's worst song is making someone alot of money right now.

You just need lots of youtube views if you're in a pinch on tour. Make something that goes viral. Good or bad.

Now if only I could take that advice myself. One day...

Just a heads up, the show in WLoo is cancelled tonight. They figured no one would pay the 5 bucks, so they're just cutting their losses. Or... we cancelled cause of the crappy snowy driving conditions.

Yeah, for sure, sound advice. But the people (albeit, haven't heard any real grumbling lately...maybe I've parted ways with my cheap friends over the years...ha!) that I tend to hear moan and groan about cover prices are in reference to bands that they love, have heard before, and WANT to see. If you can't afford to support their mediocre fee for service, or if you're unwilling to sacrifice the price of that extra drink that you probably don't need anyways in order to lend some appreciation, then stay home I figure.

I agree with ersh' comments about perceptions around the whole bar-band thing, but that really is too bad. Some of the best damn shows I've ever seen have been in that setting. If anything its a treat to see some of the quality musicians we have access to at that type of scale. That alone should count for a couple bucks.