Jambands.ca

Neil Young, Massey Hall, May 10th & 11th

edger

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf? Only certain "Friend" memberships get access? Fuck off.

Live Nation presents

Neil Young

Tuesday May 10, 2011, at 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday May 11, 2011, at 8:00 p.m.

Massey Hall | $89.50 – $189.50

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS CONCERT:

Due to extremely limited inventory, we regret that we are not able to offer all FriendsFirst members access to priority ticketing. Platinum Friends, Royal Friends, Marquee Club Members ONLY may purchase during the presale to this event by calling the box office at 416-872-4255. A limit of 2 tickets per account applies.

Legendary rocker Neil Young will embark on a solo tour that will kick off on April 15th in Durham, NC, and will include two concerts at Toronto’s Massey Hall on May 10th & 11th. Neil Young will perform songs from his current acclaimed album, Le Noise as well as classic tracks performed in both electric and acoustic settings.

The May 2011 Massey Hall concerts are scheduled to be captured on film by director Jonathan Demme, as the final installment in Neil Young’s concert film trilogy, joining 2006’s Neil Young: Heart of Gold and 2008’s Neil Young Trunk Show.

FRIENDS ON SALE: Thurs. April 14, 2011 at 10 a.m. Royal, Platinum and Marquee Members only. Please call the box office to order 416-872-4255. Limit 2 tickets per account applies.

PUBLIC ON SALE: Fri April 15, 2011 at 10 a.m.

I'm waiting to hear back from them. I spoke to one of the front desk people and they told me that it was at the request of Neil Young's management.

???wtf???

I don't buy it. I want to know why Massey caved in if that's the case. Last couple of Neil appearances there were available to all Friends Members. This time it's only to those who donate more than $250 per year (3 of the 5 tiers).

Oh well. Just have to wait and see. At least it's being filmed and a DVD can be grabbed at a later date instead :(

NRPS facebook status earlier today said "RIP Neil Young". They were wrong, obviously and have since removed the post.

Sorry for any strife caused by my post about Neil Young-I don't know whether you learned it from that post or another source, but regardless, it was an honest mistake. A friend heard it on a NY Rock radio station (I don't know which one) and e-mailed it. They were obviously mistaken....Apologies for any part I took...it was inadvertent.

Apparently it was Manchester's soccer legend Neil Young, although I couldn't find any info online.

Nobody bats an eyelash at $89.50 to $189.50 for tickets? So the shittiest, obstructed view seats in Massey hall are worth $89.50 plus plus plus? I know that this show represents something very rare and intimate (and being filmed) but I'm so fucking tired of ridiculously overpriced concerts by aging rockers who are well past their prime.

and I love Neil but gimme a fuckin break.

At least Fleet Foxes is $35 - $45.

and having thought about it, I guess if there was ever a show at Massey Hall that you would expect to be priced high and fair value, it would be solo Neil.

I'm just bitter cause I don't have the scratch. I'd be there in a heart beat, or scrambling to be, otherwise.

I do wonder how much of a distraction the cameras will be though.

Nobody bats an eyelash at $89.50 to $189.50 for tickets? So the shittiest, obstructed view seats in Massey hall are worth $89.50 plus plus plus? I know that this show represents something very rare and intimate (and being filmed) but I'm so fucking tired of ridiculously overpriced concerts by aging rockers who are well past their prime.

and I love Neil but gimme a fuckin break.

At least Fleet Foxes is $35 - $45.

I honestly don't think this is over priced at all. I just wish it was on a weekend. I would be there. Neil can be far past his "prime" and still be worth the ticket price. When was his prime, anyway? 25 years ago? Ten years ago? Three months ago? Yesterday? I'll have to google that I guess.

I regret phrasing it that way or suggesting that Neil was past his prime. I agree its not overpriced for Neil solo at Massey Hall. When was Neil's prime? In my opinion, most of the '70's.

Feel free to Google that till your hearts content.

Edited by Guest

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

What bothers me about the ticket price is the young people that recently discovered Neil's music but could never afford to see him live. I understand it's Massey Hall and there's limited seats but he never does any large scale shows around here anymore where everyone (not just the wealthy) gets to enjoy him live.

Edited by Guest

Asking these kind of prices really makes his "man of the people" act seem a little past tense.

Neil is one of my all-time music heroes and if my finances were what they were just a few years ago I would snatch the best tickets I could. It will be awesome I am sure.

Is Neil still in his prime? No. That would imply he has been there more or less continuously since the 1970's. The 70's were undoubtedly his magical hey day were he could do little wrong and spun a continuous web of musical gold.

The 80's and '90s were a mixed bag. I do feel that Neil is currently in a state as close to prime as he has been since the 70s. And either way, he ain't getting any younger so if you can afford it, get him while you can.

Neil will be back to play the Rogers with a rock band, I say. That show will be more affordable. A solo arena tour wouldn't work, I don't think. I think if you dropped the price for an intimate theater show you'd wind up getting more of that rowdy crowd showing up, ruining it for everyone, and frustrating Neil, like I've seen before on the '99 tour when tickets were less expensive.

if you dropped the price for an intimate theater show you'd wind up getting more of that rowdy crowd showing up, ruining it for everyone

Yes. I heartily agree. Hear hear. Those pesky lower-income plebeians always ruin the fun for the well-to-do. They just have no understanding of proper decorum.

... like I've seen before on the '99 tour when tickets were less expensive.

that's when he moved beyond my price range. IIRC tix were about $100 which was generally unheard of at that time. looks cheap in comparison.

i guess the "lower tier" friends of Massey are part of that riff-raff Neil doesn't want at this show, or at least up close.

if you dropped the price for an intimate theater show you'd wind up getting more of that rowdy crowd showing up, ruining it for everyone

Yes. I heartily agree. Hear hear. Those pesky lower-income plebeians always ruin the fun for the well-to-do. They just have no understanding of proper decorum.

Yeah yeah... I sense your sarcasm. I guess it didn't exactly come out right what I said. Really though, what would happen if the show was free? (ie - the extreme of cheap tix).

Supply and demand is all it really comes down to. I'm thinking he could sell out two nights at Massey charging $300+. Perhaps not though if he were charging $1000 per ticket. I would say prices are lower than they could be while still selling out. I think $90 to see Neil at Massey Hall is fair.