Jambands.ca

Neil Young, Massey Hall, May 10th & 11th

edger

I saw Neil during the Greendale tour at Camden and during an in-between song moment while Neil furthered the story, someone heckled "fuck Grampa, Rock n' Roll!" Without missing a beat Neil shot back, "sit down, shut the fuck up or get the hell out of here." The crowd cheered Neil and it was a very surreal moment when you witness the artist take the performance back from a self-centered douche in the crowd, in such a precise and confident way.

I think he can handle himself no matter the ticket price or audience.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Massey is solo and I can see asking more for such an intimate show, but I won't be paying those prices. Although, I wouldn't pay that much for anyone now-a-days considering where the bulk of the ticket price actually goes.

A quick look through my stubs I found these:

Aug.18 1993 CNE GA - Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Blues Traveler, Sound Garden - $38

Oct. 31 1996 Copps 3rd row center - Neil Young w/ Crazy Horse - $48

I have a few others from the late 80's and late 90s but I can't find em at the moment.

I saw Neil during the Greendale tour at Camden and during an in-between song moment while Neil furthered the story, someone heckled "fuck Grampa, Rock n' Roll!" Without missing a beat Neil shot back, "sit down, shut the fuck up or get the hell out of here." The crowd cheered Neil and it was a very surreal moment when you witness the artist take the performance back from a self-centered douche in the crowd, in such a precise and confident way.

I think he can handle himself no matter the ticket price or audience.

I saw him do pretty much the same thing on the same tour at the Fox Theatre in Detroit.

Got a phone call from Massey Hall today. Fingers crossed that I'm pretty sure I got IN. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Was told they only got 10% of what they normally get for membership seating!

In my mind this 10% should still be distributed to all "friends". Would anyone have even known the difference other than they may have got shut out and had to try their luck in the general onsale? Does this ever happen for popular shows?

As for the cost, too much for me this time round, but there's other variables that factor in for me. Timing, what other family commitments, shows, work demands, etc I have on the go. How long ago I saw Neil. What I'm craving musically at the moment. While I won't be putting my hand in the draw this time, I would likely pay these prices when another opportunity presents itself if the rest of the cards line up right.

Although yeah, I hear you Esau on where the moneys actually flowin'. It sucks, and I know the only real way to affect change is to boycott entirely but the music is a powerful drug.

I got tickets for both Neil Young Massey Hall gigs. These will be my 51st and 52nd Neil gigs not including two times seeing him when he did not perform music.

Neil is always a no brainer for me personally, if the Ryman gigs that Jonathan Demme directed back in 2005 for the film 'Heart of Gold' were available I would have tried for them.

Now I don't have to travel at all to see Demme direct another Neil Young tour.

The film 'Heart of Gold' was amazing, much like another Demme rockumentary 'Stop Making Sense' about the Talking Heads.

And I saw Demme introduce 'Trunk Show' at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2009 and it was also great.

These shows will be recorded a few months past the 40th anniversary of Neil Young Live at Massey Hall. Which I assume the film will mention.

Long Live Neil Young,

Tim

Although yeah, I hear you Esau on where the moneys actually flowin'. It sucks, and I know the only real way to affect change is to boycott entirely but the music is a powerful drug.

Understandable. I certainly wouldn't criticize or condemn anyone for wanting to go, or going. I just made my mind up I wouldn't be part of it anymore, especially since I complain and bitch about prices - it stings sometimes though, especially when his Bobness comes around.

Regardless, I hope everyone enjoys the show.

Neil is one of the only aging rockers who refuses to rest on his laurels, and for that I am pleased to make the effort to see him every chance I reasonably can.

That said, after attending all three Massey Hall shows last time I found the set lists similar enough to justify only getting tickets to one night this time around. His playing and intensity is unique enough that I could easily enjoy several shows in a row of the same material, but these things do get pricey, especially for out-of-towners where hotel fees and time off work compound the issue.

I couldn't justify it this time with all of the money I've been dropping lately on concert tickets, including about $180 for Paul Simon at the same venue just a few days before the Neil shows.

This would have been my 4th time seeing Neil Young in person, including the time I saw him walking along Charlotte Street in Peterborough.

Charlotte street?! Dam..where was I?! Ya I guess his bro lives in Electric city. Kinda odd story..I was accosted with my son(well he tried) in Rotary park..just across from the cool walking bridge down from Nichols oval park..where the Folk fest is.

Annyways...I went to the police to report him and didnt know Neils bro lived there..well the best description I could give was that he looked like he could be Neil Youngs brother!! OOOOOPS!!! I'm sure it wasn't Neil Youngs brother.

I sadly had to pass on this one the price was too high, especially after I shelled out large buck for Paul Simon and Supertramp as well as all the Phish shows.

Sadly prices will just go up as gas costs more and touring is more expensive. Also no one buys albums anymore so artists really only make money off licensing, live shows and merch.

I guess this is the price we pay for being able to download anything for free.

Neil is one of the only aging rockers who refuses to rest on his laurels, and for that I am pleased to make the effort to see him every chance I reasonably can.

That said, after attending all three Massey Hall shows last time I found the set lists similar enough to justify only getting tickets to one night this time around. His playing and intensity is unique enough that I could easily enjoy several shows in a row of the same material, but these things do get pricey, especially for out-of-towners where hotel fees and time off work compound the issue.

The setlist could be exactly the same both nights, this may happen because the two gigs are being recorded for a film. Giving an opportunity to have two chances to get the best performance of each song.

Peace,

Tim

I saw Neil during the Greendale tour at Camden and during an in-between song moment while Neil furthered the story' date=' someone heckled "fuck Grampa, Rock n' Roll!" Without missing a beat Neil shot back, "sit down, shut the fuck up or get the hell out of here." The crowd cheered Neil and it was a very surreal moment when you witness the artist take the performance back from a self-centered douche in the crowd, in such a precise and confident way.

I think he can handle himself no matter the ticket price or audience. [/quote']

I saw him do pretty much the same thing on the same tour at the Fox Theatre in Detroit.

Hey hamilton, I remember that gig that we went to at the Fox Theatre to see the Neil Young & Crazy Horse 'Greendale Tour.'

As far as I can remember there was a fan or multiple fans whistling which was disturbing the performance and Neil gave them crap for it.

Peace,

Tim

Remember when you could see Neil solo and acoustic for $5 !!

This was the very best show of his I have seen.

Kingswood Music Theatre Canada's Wonderland, Maple, ON Aug. 26, 1989

My My, Hey Hey / Rockin' In The Free World / Sugar Mountain / Someday / Helpless / Pocahontas / Crime In The City / Four Strong Winds / Too Far Gone / Roll Another Number / This Note's For You / The Needle And The Damage Done / No More / After The Gold Rush / Heart Of Gold / Ohio / Rockin' In The Free World / Powderfinger