Jambands.ca

ISO: general all-purpose recording mic...Rode NT3, thoughts?

flipzoso

...and based on a little research and some friend's recommendations I have it narrowed down to Rode NT3.

Just wanted to run it by here, as I know we have some experienced home recording folks in the house.

I'd want to record acoustic guitar, violin, cello, flute, piano...and if it would work with electric guitar amp too, that'd be a bonus.

Thanks

Honestly, if you want a "workhorse" mic that is indeed 'pro-level', and can tackle all of the instruments you mentioned, go with an AKG 414. The Rode is ok - it will be fine - but it is kind of a one-trick pony. It has a sound, but that sound is not the kind of thing you can use on everything the way you can with something like a 414. And a mix full of tracks all cut with that mic will be more of a challenge for you.

414s alone aren't always appropriate for amps, but put in the right place, and coupled with a dynamic like a 57, it can work well. Put the pad in, fo sho.

My $0.02, though I have worked in recording studios for 15 yrs, but whateva...

Peace and Good Luck! =)

...the only caveat I would have for buying a condensor over a dynamic is that it will pickup everything you can hear in your room....everything. At least with a dynamic mic up close on your instrument you won't hear the AC kick in, a plane fly by and your neighbors kid screaming all before you hit the second verse.

If you have a quiet room that you can clap your hands in and it doesn't sound like a flanged delay, then think about a condensor. But a 57 would work fine on all those sources as well.

Edited by Guest

mics are like religion to tapers. akg rulz. team schoeps, woohoo. neumanns are soft, no they are muddy, no they are bassy, no they are perfect.

you aren't ever going to get consensus on which mics to buy. instead, practical considerations should drive your choice, like price, or phantom versus self-powered, or omni versus cardioid.

the 414's should be good for what you want.

As already suggested, a large diaphragm condenser is probably what you want. Brands like Audio Technica make models in whatever your price range is. Obviously they won't measure up to a 414, but you'll still get decent bang for your buck.

You can check out this economical matched pairs of condensers, BEHRINGER C2. I've not used them but they come highly recommended by several friends. Used for everything from toms to acoustic guitar.

If you want multi-pattern wide diaphragm condenser, the APEX 520 is a good inexpensive choice. Again, the feedback I've heard is that people have been pleasantly surprised by the sound of this $200 microphone.

• 9 months later...

Old thread bump -- so I need a budget condenser mic to record acoustic instruments (guitar, uke, violin, piano). I've been doing a lot of research and I'm about to make a final decision and I think I'll go with the MXL V67G.

Anyone have experience with that one? Before I go through any last minute other suggestions?